Trouble With My eMac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PB G4. 15" 512MB RAM & EMac G4 superdrive
I have an eMac running Panther. It is a 1.25 Ghz with 256 RAM. A while back I copied files from my PB to the eMac using firewire with the PB in TDM. I think I accidently copied system files, not sure how I did it, but ever since the eMac has had nothing but problems. Every time I open Safari I get a login box asking for a password which is the password that came off of the PB never on the eMac. The eMac constantly locks up and the 3 key force quit will not work. So, I thought the best thing to do would be to upgrade the RAM and install Leopard.. I am looking for advice on whether Tiger or Leopard would be better and the how to on installing the new RAM card. Thanks for any help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
You sure need more RAM - suggest 2 x 512MB for Tiger or Leopard. You replace RAM through the access door. Do a Google and you will find instructions with photos at Lowendmac or XLR8yourmac. Boy you have to make sure it is seated firmly as they fit tightly into the holders.

When you get the Tiger/Leopard disc do an erase and install as obviously some of the PB files have corrupted the eMac. When you buy the new OS make sure the DVD is the black colored full retail install version and NOT a grey colored restore disc.

OP
scubagal
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PB G4. 15" 512MB RAM & EMac G4 superdrive
Ok, thats what I will do. Thanks, I was only going to buy 1 256 stick to give me the minimum I would need. Is there a preferred brand of RAM I should use?

M

MacHeadCase

Try OWC. Very efficient people, great service, and helpful too if you need extra help.

I have done business with them a few times and even referred friends there as well. They have a lifetime warranty on their RAM. They sell good brands. Prices are very decent. What more could you ask for? :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Second MHC advice about OWC - they are a great company with excellent after sales service even here to Australia.

Reconsider your RAM requirements ~ really 1GB is the go for Tiger and Leopard. Your eMac will even accommodate 2x1GB modules.

Here is an OWC link to the exact RAM you will need:-

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/TechWorks/125350001/

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.