Calling All Safari Users -- Possible Serious Flaw In Safari?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac, 2.8GHz Core 2 Extreme, 500+500GB HD, 4GB RAM, OSX 10.5.1
Hi all,

In my continual effort to use as much of macs own native software as possible, I just tried moving from Firefox to Safari.

Everything was going ok, I even managed to get my bookmarks imported.

Then I tried to save something from a link. I.e. "save link as" in Firefox, or "save target as" in Internet Explorer..I think.

Anyway, Safari seems to have an issue with doing this..in that it doesn't. It says "file doesn't exist" in its little downloads window, after failing to even start the download. The file is def' there as it will play in the browser upon left clicking it.

Has anyone had any experience with this? Or perhaps moved from Firefox to Safari themselves?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Does this happen with any link, or a specific one? Can you give an example?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
The file is def' there as it will play in the browser upon left clicking it.

What kind of file is it? This implies is video or audio, the site may be preventing you from downloading it directly. Have you tried with other files?

I don't think there are any "serious flaws" in Safari that prevent it from downloading files.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Does this happen with any link, or a specific one? Can you give an example?

What kind of file is it? This implies is video or audio, the site may be preventing you from downloading it directly. Have you tried with other files?

I don't think there are any "serious flaws" in Safari that prevent it from downloading files.

To demonstrate what I mean, please click the following link,

http://www.speedyshare.com/558362895.html

Its safe don't worry. What I done was, I saved a random image off google (of a mac computer), then uploaded it to speedyshare, so you all could see my problem.

If you left click the link, the image will show. So we know its def' there, and that its working. However, if i wanted to save that image to my computer, I would right click, and select "download linked file as', or even simply "download linked file".

I do this a million times a day with firefox, with no problems.

its the exact same with video, music, and whatever else you can think of.

Do you all see what I mean now? It wont start the download :Oops:

M

MacHeadCase

I got the image to download just fine. It's here on my desktop.

Edited to add:

And I used Safari for this.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
using the "download linked file as" ??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I was fully expecting to tell you it worked fine, then my eyes bugged out as I get the error "0 bytes of ? -- file doesn't exist".

What version of Safari do you have, and what OS version? I have OS 10.5.1 with Safari 3.0.4. The only Safari add-on I have is Pith Helmet, and it's off at the moment. Well I do have Speed Download also. I have a bare install of OS X on another partition... lemme try on there and see what happens.

EDIT: I booted into my "virgin" install of 10.5.1 on another partition and I still had the problem. MHC is running Tiger, iirc, so since she had no problems, and assuming you are on 10.5.1 like myself, then I feel pretty confident in calling this a bug with Safari and/or OS 10.5.1

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 GHz C2D, 1GB Ram, MacBook White
Works fine in both FireFox and Safari for me

M

MacHeadCase

using the "download linked file as" ??

Yes that's what I used. And yes I am using Tiger 10.4.11. To make sure this is a system-wide thing, create a new user account and see in that new account if the problem happens there as well.

Although if you and lifeisabeach are experiencing the same problem, something tells me the next Leopard update has something else to patch...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
It could be a connection issue with the server or your ISPs.

I had no problems with that file.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I was fully expecting to tell you it worked fine, then my eyes bugged out as I get the error "0 bytes of ? -- file doesn't exist".

What version of Safari do you have, and what OS version? I have OS 10.5.1 with Safari 3.0.4. The only Safari add-on I have is Pith Helmet, and it's off at the moment. Well I do have Speed Download also. I have a bare install of OS X on another partition... lemme try on there and see what happens.

EDIT: I booted into my "virgin" install of 10.5.1 on another partition and I still had the problem. MHC is running Tiger, iirc, so since she had no problems, and assuming you are on 10.5.1 like myself, then I feel pretty confident in calling this a bug with Safari and/or OS 10.5.1

Well at least it isn't just me! Yes, I am running Leopard (10.5.1) and Safari (3.0.4), so I think it is indeed a Leopard thing.

Works fine in both FireFox and Safari for me

What OS version are you using? Tiger? Leopard?

Yes that's what I used. And yes I am using Tiger 10.4.11. To make sure this is a system-wide thing, create a new user account and see in that new account if the problem happens there as well.

Although if you and lifeisabeach are experiencing the same problem, something tells me the next Leopard update has something else to patch...

Yeah it seems to be a leopard thing.

It could be a connection issue with the server or your ISPs.

I had no problems with that file.

It works with Firefox so I think that would rule out what you said :)

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Just confirmed, it works in Tiger 10.4.11 by right clicking and going save but not with 10.5.1 Leopard. Funny since both now use Safari 3. I always just drag the picture to the desktop with the mouse so I would have never noticed.

Funny thing is I can go to many other sites and right click and download a pic or file.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.