ipod troubles

W

Wapa18

so here's the deal. the other day, i grab my ipod (which i bought in late april), turn it on and start listenin to some tunes. i had just bought a new cd and wanted to put it on my ipod, so i plug the ipod into my power mac g4, and the computer freezes. i immediately consulted the user's manual to see what to do, and it said if all else fails (which it did) to simply disconnect the ipod and reset it. so i do, and then i try it again. same thing. so i restore the software on the ipod (which meant deleting all my songs on it) hoping that would fix it. it didn't.

so i reinstall itunes, upgrade to the latest version of itunes, download the latest ipod software, download the latest mac os x update, and none of it works. the computer doesn't even recognize the ipod. the little beachball spins like it sees something there, but it doesn't show up on the desktop, in itunes, or even in disk utility and the only way to get things back to normal is to disconnect the ipod even though it says "do not disconnect".

sometimes the ipod shows up in the ipod updater and lets me wipe it clean and restore the software again, and then it shows up in itunes and lets me name it. but it still doesn't show up on the desktop, and the only way it even shows up in itunes is right after i name it and only if i set it to automatically update. if i set it to manually update, it doesn't show up in itunes. so when i set it to auto-update, it shows up in itunes source list and says "updating ipod. do not disconnect" but then it never gets past copying the first song. then eventually an error message says "could not write to disk. error (-36)"

i just don't know what to do. i talked to apple phone support, and they said to fill out the online service request form, and apple would send a box for it and then examine it and repair it if need be. but i'd rather them just give me a whole new one so there's no chance this would happen again. grrr. sorry for the long post. i guess it was more to vent than anything else, but if someone has a suggestion, let me know. thanks.

p.s. - i know this isn't a problem with my computer, because i took the ipod to compusa to hook it to one of their macs, and it sent a g5 into a kernel panic twice and froze an ibook.

OP
T

TylerMoney

Hmmm. My suggestion is to call Apple and be like, "What up wit my iPod foos." Because I ain't got a clue what's up with it.

OP
M

menace3054

Wapa18 said:
p.s. - i know this isn't a problem with my computer, because i took the ipod to compusa to hook it to one of their macs, and it sent a g5 into a kernel panic twice and froze an ibook.

lol, your ipod is possessed... ms office sent my powerbook into 5 kernel panics, it was kind of amusing.. sorry to hear about your ipod :(

OP
P

parasight

I'm actuallt having the same problem as you...I have no clue what to do...I have found out that if you disconnect the iPod connector from the firewire port, restart, plug it back in, then plug in the iPod that sometimes it'll recognize it, but not always....Either way, I'm getting very pissed off about this...

OP
G

gailwin

Format you iPod on a Windows PC and then try connecting it to your mac. You won't have to re-format the iPod because Mac's read Windows formatting. Windows (thanks to the jack--- Bill Gates) doesn't read mac formatting.

also, see if it sends the PC into 5 kernel panics (lol - i think that's hilarious how a computer can do that.)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.