Automator and Downloads

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac G5 2.0Ghz 1GB || MBP 2.0GhzCDuo 2GB || TV || iPhone || Airport Extreme
Just a word before I begin...I used search and I'm very new to automator, but not so new to macs.

OK...I typically download a lot of car videos daily and sometimes I don't watch them all for some reason. I would like to know if I could use automator to take all of my downloaded files and put them in a folder (which i can do from safari...and have already done) next I would like automator to name the folder differently everyday and I would like safari to recognize that it needs to put the new downloads in a different folder.

For example, today I downloaded 9 files. I would like them all to go into the folder "Downoads 12-3-06". Tomorrow when I download 6 files I would like them to go into a newly created folder by automator titled "Downloads 12-4-06"

Is this possible? Can automator do this?

Thanks in advance,

--
MacGuy18

Reaction score
Yes. You can choose to rename the specified Finder items by adding the current date, then move the folder to wherever you want it.

You need to think about the specific steps. Open Safari, create folder, rename folder with current date, move folder, etc.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac G5 2.0Ghz 1GB || MBP 2.0GhzCDuo 2GB || TV || iPhone || Airport Extreme
Thanks for your help MartinS!

ok I got the naming down, how do I go about changing safari's preference to send downloaded items to this folder? Also, how do I set it up so that every morning when I wake it from sleep a new folder is created?

Thanks,
--
MacGuy18

Reaction score
Second Q first: save your workflow to the script menu (you'll get a little scroll on the menu bar). Right-click it, and run the workflow that way when you wake it.

First Q: um... not sure. Look in the Safari actions - get contents of webpage, something like that?

I think Automator's great. Today it took me about five minutes to put a workflow together to get the text from about 30 web pages and combine it into a single text file. Would've taken me ages without Automator.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for your help martin S.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.