hey guys, just switched...

K

Kreza

Hello all, im new, and i just switched from a XP desktop to a nice new (well old) iBook. I am not that old so my budget was £400. I picked up a (what I believe to be) good iBook on Ebay for £400. I had a iMac 333mhz before with OS 9.2 but got hardly any use apart from using various software (I picked it up for £50). Anyway... it just blew up (the screen) so i decided to buy a iBook. Just wanted to say hi and was wondering two thing, my iBook is in the middle of being shipped, but I was wondering 2 things 1) iChat, is it only a video conference utility or is it a chat messenger like yahoo aswell? 2) Is it £99 to upgrade to Panther now matter what?? I saw something about it being like £14 but im not very sure.

Thanks for any replies any answers received will be much appreciated as I am very new just incase you were wondering, these are the specs of my iBook (I think they are good for the price I paid)

600 Mhz G3 Processor
640 Mb Ram
20 Gb HDD
DVD/CD-RW Combo Drive

I think that a 600 Mhz processor is enough as my old iMac (333) outperformed my PC running XP and 2.4 Ghz processor atleast on par with it.

OP
F

Fomer

Glad your back to the mac world. :)

Ichat is only a chat app like yahoo, aim, msn messenger, etc. Ichatav is the video/audio input messenger which if you so desire to upgrade to later it also allows normal chatting.

Well, if you bought a computer from Apple I think around 25 days you got Panther for next to nothing. May be what you are thinking of. Also you said you weren't too old if you are in college or grade school you can snag panther with a student discount.

Those specs aren't too shabby, esp for the price you paid. :)

OP
K

Kreza

Fomer said:
Glad your back to the mac world. :)

Ichat is only a chat app like yahoo, aim, msn messenger, etc. Ichatav is the video/audio input messenger which if you so desire to upgrade to later it also allows normal chatting.

Well, if you bought a computer from Apple I think around 25 days you got Panther for next to nothing. May be what you are thinking of. Also you said you weren't too old if you are in college or grade school you can snag panther with a student discount.

Those specs aren't too shabby, esp for the price you paid. :)

i know i got it on ebay!!! SO HAPPY. I'll just either save up for panther, or not get it, as I heard there are many more updates coming, is this true?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8GHz G5 512mb Ram
Well, there's upgrades 10.3.x (x being upgrades)

But I doubt it'll be real soon to see another full OS Upgrade (10.4 <--)

So you're safe in buying Panther and it's a great upgrade and might even make your iBook run faster.

Good to hear the purchase, that's a sweet deal, I don't even really know what currency you're talking about but 400 doesn't sound like much @ all :)

sKaD

OP
K

Kreza

sKaD said:
Well, there's upgrades 10.3.x (x being upgrades)

But I doubt it'll be real soon to see another full OS Upgrade (10.4 <--)

So you're safe in buying Panther and it's a great upgrade and might even make your iBook run faster.

Good to hear the purchase, that's a sweet deal, I don't even really know what currency you're talking about but 400 doesn't sound like much @ all :)

sKaD

£398 GBP Pounds
$685 US Dollars

is exactly what I paid..

OP
K

kakosc

You said @ instead of at.
@ requires the pressing of two keys, as does 'at', however @ requires you to hold down shift while pressing 2, therefore making it more complicated to produce.
The only advantage of using @ over 'at' is saving space, but space obviously isnt an issue here as you found it necessary to ask a question that you could have answered yourself by re-reading the question, paying special attention to the currency symbols found before or after a quoted price, in this case the £, which usually refers to the great britain pound, or GBP, one of which usually equals around 1.75 american dollars.

OP
K

Kreza

kakosc said:
You said @ instead of at.
@ requires the pressing of two keys, as does 'at', however @ requires you to hold down shift while pressing 2, therefore making it more complicated to produce.
The only advantage of using @ over 'at' is saving space, but space obviously isnt an issue here as you found it necessary to ask a question that you could have answered yourself by re-reading the question, paying special attention to the currency symbols found before or after a quoted price, in this case the £, which usually refers to the great britain pound, or GBP, one of which usually equals around 1.75 american dollars.

:confused:

OP
F

Fomer

He was talking about Skad

Good to hear the purchase, that's a sweet deal, I don't even really know what currency you're talking about but 400 doesn't sound like much @ all

Why kakosc replied?... God only knows :rolleyes:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8GHz G5 512mb Ram
I think he was reflecting my post where I was questioning the currency symbol and thinking I could answer myself reading my question of not knowing what the currency symbol was and how much of a difference it is from USD.

And the fact that I used "@ all" instead of "at all".

Completely pointless indeed, a waste of bandwidth is all.

sKaD

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.