For those of you with MacBooks, do you ever use a larger external monitor?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I used my 2008 MacBook with an external monitor while at my home office. I also kept an external wired Apple aluminum keyboard and a wired mouse in order to operate it in clamshell mode. Did that for almost 4 years until I sold the MacBook. All Apple notebook computers can be operated that way, not just the MacBook.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
when at a desk I always use a large monitor and the macBook screen as a secondary display

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Same here. When I'm at a desk...I almost always use an external monitor.

Why did you ask this question?

- Nick

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
While not doing it with a Macbook (trying to convince the company to buy me one..:) ), I use multiple monitors with my work laptop and I also use a second monitor with my 27" iMac..in that case, the iMac is the primary screen and the second monitor serves a very specific purpose..

OP
A

anthonyjh

Same here. When I'm at a desk...I almost always use an external monitor.

Why did you ask this question?

- Nick

Pure curiosity! I've recently got a cable that links my MacBook to my TV and I never use my old widescreen PC monitor so thought, 'why stop at the TV cable?' Just used my MacBook screen for 2 years now since I bought it but might as well go bigger when I'm at home!

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I use an external monitor connected to my MP Pro and work that way almost exclusively. The notebook screen is the secondary monitor. I tend to keep things like tool palates and chat windows.

Right now I have a chat window and two IMPEG Streamclip progress screens on the second monitor. A quick glance lets me know if anything important is happening without having to shift things on my main screen.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
I occasionally use my 55ST50 plasma HDMI to Display Port.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2014 i5 5k 32gb 1tb fusion, second TB display, 2014 MBA
Answer is yes. At home, for serious work I plug the Air into my Thunderbolt display which in turn supplies a real keyboard and mouse.

No different than an iMac, except that in the case of the Air, the horsepower available is considerably less. But from the monitor point of few, it's great.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.