Which Mac/Macbook is best for a student?

Reaction score
Not specifically centred on Macbooks but...

I'm guessing you guys face this question everyday and apologies if you've tired of it!

The background is, I currently own an iPhone and a 4th Gen Retina iPad. I'm starting university next year to study Marketing and Advertising and don't know which Mac would be best suited for me.

I'm mostly in favour of a MacBook Pro (Retina if I can afford it) due to the obvious issue of portability. I was thinking if I already own an iPad, which serves the purpose of portability, would I really need to splash out on a MacBook or would I be better off getting a desktop Mac? The main disadvantage to a laptop being the limitation in screen size, the main benefit being again the portability and also the retina display.

Which begs my second question: if it's advised to get a desktop, then Mac Mini or iMac? This is presuming I pack the Mac Mini with extra RAM etc as I know there are a lot of skeptics regarding their power. The main benefit of the former would be the price and portability. The main benefit of the latter being... Well, it's an iMac. They're obviously amazing.

Would be ever so grateful if any of you guys could help me out here?

Worth noting that the software I will be using is Logic Pro (I'm a musician), CS6 and Aperture to name a few, and I am willing to splash out a bit more to get better specs, if I can afford them. :p

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
The main disadvantage to a laptop being the limitation in screen size, the main benefit being again the portability and also the retina display.

The screen size of MacBook Pro is really not a disadvantage...since when you are at home...you can always operate the laptop with a larger external display.:)

Since you are interested in a retina MacBook Pro...you then need to decide between a 13" or 15" display. You seem to be interested in portability...so it would seem that you might be more interested in the smaller/lighter 13" retina MacBook Pro.

But...given the applications you listed you will be using...you would probably be better off with a 15" retina MacBook Pro...since only the 15" has dedicated graphics hardware.

- Nick

OP
B
Reaction score
Thanks. I would definitely go for the 15" if I was to go MBP, which again I would to own and would be my preferred option. So is 15" big enough for running the apps I mentioned with ease? Also - never considered getting a second monitor if I did need one. It's an idea.

I was just thinking that, in terms of money, there's a big difference in the price of a MBP and a Mini. The specs on a Mini look pretty good to me - 8 or 16 GB RAM, Quad Core i7 etc. - so what's the catch with them? I know I would have to buy separates for it - but it seems as convenient as an MBP over an iMac in that in the holidays I can just chuck it in a bag and take it home with me. Are there drawbacks in the graphics, as you mentioned?

Thanks
- S

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I was just thinking that, in terms of money, there's a big difference in the price of a MBP and a Mini. The specs on a Mini look pretty good to me - 8 or 16 GB RAM, Quad Core i7 etc. - so what's the catch with them? I know I would have to buy separates for it - but it seems as convenient as an MBP over an iMac in that in the holidays I can just chuck it in a bag and take it home with me. Are there drawbacks in the graphics, as you mentioned?

The Mac-Mini does not have dedicated graphics hardware. With the Mac-Mini...you need to purchase a display, keyboard, and mouse (if you don't already have them). The cost of everything then gets closer to the cost of a low-end iMac.

If you went with a Mac-Mini or an iMac...then you wouldn't have the retina display. If you're willing to NOT have a retina display with a desktop Mac...then there really is no reason to get a retina display MacBook Pro. So you could save yourself a little money (if you got a MacBook Pro)...by getting the non-retina 15" MacBook Pro.

With the applications you listed...you would be best getting a computer with dedicated graphics hardware.

Overall...best "bang for the buck" is an iMac.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Main-11" Air, iPhone 6+, iPad Mini 3, Hi-Fi Extras- Too many to count
I would go for the retina pro, i just ordered mine and cant wait for it to be here. For what you are doing I would go with the 15 inch retina.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.