Reset Admin Password

Reaction score
We have several computers set up for public use. The admin password has been lost (the one who set them up moved a couple years ago). The library was also broken into about a year ago and we have none of the original utility / start up disk to use to reset the password because they were stolen. Is there any way that I can reset or get into the admin account with out the disk. Are the disk computer specific? If I can get a disk from same version would it work? Thanks You for your help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
What version of OSX are they running?

You can still get retail install disks from Apple, and its an OS disk boot that is the only way to reset a password

Reaction score
how did you make out? Try Tricking your Mac into creating a new user account
Power on or restart your Mac (should work for any Mac OS X system).
At the chime (or grey screen if your chime is turned off), hold down Command+S on your keyboard to enter single-user mode.
This step is optional, but it’s a good idea because it checks the consistency of the hard disk before moving on. At the prompt, type fsck -fy and press Enter/Return. Wait for the checks to complete before going to the next step.........
Type mount -uw / and press Enter.
Type rm /var/db/.AppleSetupDone and press Enter.
Type shutdown -h now and press Enter.
Rather than simply changing the password this one fools the operating system into believing it has never been started before. This means when you restart the machine, it will take you through the entire setup & registration process all over again. Do not worry, all of your pre-existing data is still available. Just continue with this process and do not choose the option to transfer or migrate information to the Mac.

Once you’re done, log in with your new admin account and go to System Preferences > Accounts. You may have to click on the lock icon in the lower-left corner before making changes here. You should see your original user account(s) in the left column. Try clicking on one of them to convert it to a standard user account (uncheck “Allow user to administer this computer”) and change the password. You should be able to successfully log in to that account now and access all of your files and programs. If you want, you can log back in with your new admin account and re-check the “Allow user to administer this computer” option in System Preferences to grant admin privileges to the original user again., and pay attention to the spaces!!!!!!!!!!!!

I dont take any credit for this knowledge just used it myself before I found it by googling.. lol

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.