4850 or 5770 in Mac Pro 1,1

Reaction score
Hello all, Let me start off by saying that I am new to Macs and am learning how to use them/configure them. Now that I have said that here is my problem.

I have a Mac Pro 1,1 with two Dual-core Intel Xeon processors, 4GB of memory and the stock Nvidia 7300 Video card. The Operating System is also OSX Lion 10.7.4. What I want to do is install either my MSI 5770 Hawk OR my Sapphire 4850 1gb dual DVI, in the Mac Pro and use the video card in OSX and Windows (still need to install windows). I have read about all of the flashing and all of that But then other places I have read that ever since OSX Lion there have been more compatible video cards right out of the box. I have tried that and it does not seem to work. So I then I added a ATI4800Controller.kext for OSX Lion that I found online. Did a reboot and it still does not work. right now I would like some input from the community on what i might be doing wrong and what I should try. I am not a complete noob and I have done research on google before I came here but I am just lost and confused at this point and want to hear some possible options/opinions.

Thanks in Advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome to the forums.

In my Mac Pro days used the ATI Radeon HD 4870 gfx card, a flashed version with 1GB memory over the standard 512MB. This card takes up the first two channels in the PCIe slots and requires two power cables from the card to the motherboard.

If interested shoot me a PM and I will pass on the details of an Hong Kong dealer who seems very fair. Over the years purchased many parts from him. You could use an Apple available STI Radeon 5770, however the 4870 is much faster with the 1GB memory.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.