Periodic maintainence

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2007 Mac Mini Core 2 Duo. Running Snow Leopard
I'm running OSX 10.5 and wanted to know what (if any) maintenance should be run on the Mac. I have the swirling colored beach ball when opening applications.

Thanks.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Download and install the free maintenance cleanup utility OnyX. Make sure though that you download the version for Leopard. The latest on his website is for Lion. Look below the main heading and you'll see the older versions for download.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Is there anything that I need to know about OnyX ? Anything to be sure I do or don't do ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Im not sure of Oynx as i use MainMenu Here is a free .v . . . but if it has list with Reindexing Spotlight and Remove .DS_Store files then there is no real need to run them. As reindexing could take hrs to do depending the size of your HD.
Someone else could pop in with Dont's as if you get it wrong with Oynx you can bugger the OS.
I like MM because of the ease of use and does what Oynx does.

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 MBP 15" I7 2.3 Ghz 16 GB Ram 500 GB SSD Retina
I use Oynx and have never had a problem with it at all. It's a pretty simple program to use. You can do a search and get a lot of information about the program. It's actually the only program that I use to "Fix" things on my Mac. Most of the knowledge about this program came from this web site and thus far no problems.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks to all of you for your comments. I will download onyx this evening and run it.

Scott

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Thanks to all of you for your comments. I will download onyx this evening and run it.

Scott

I think that you will be fine with Onyx...as long as you don't "veer" from the default settings (preselected check boxes). I think that some of the "non-selected" check boxes (if selected) could cause issues if you don't fully understand what these features do.

Just stick to the default settings...and you'll be fine. Also regarding the "beach balls"...read the link in my signature.

Good luck,

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
I have the swirling colored beach ball when opening applications.

That means a process is still running. If it doesn't stop, you're "hung". This could be due to insufficient RAM.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 MBP 15" I7 2.3 Ghz 16 GB Ram 500 GB SSD Retina
I think that you will be fine with Onyx...as long as you don't "veer" from the default settings (preselected check boxes). I think that some of the "non-selected" check boxes (if selected) could cause issues if you don't fully understand what these features do.

Just stick to the default settings...and you'll be fine. Also regarding the "beach balls"...read the link in my signature.

Good luck,

- Nick

Good advice, it's what I do and it works well. Truthfully if you don't load your computer up with a lot of garbage or untrustworthy software you will only use this program maybe once or twice per year. At least that has been my experience thus far.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Also, how full is the hard drive?

Chas, the capacity is 74.2GB, with 43.08GB being available. I will be moving my music and photo files to the external HD to free up more room on the internal HD. This should help with the issue as well, correct?

C

chas_m

Not really. You have plenty of free space available given the size of that (incredibly tiny by today's standards) drive. I was just asking because spinning beachballs and laggy performance are often a sign that the hard drive is approaching full. In your case that's not the issue.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Processor:2.7GHz Intel Core, 4GB 1333 MHz, Mac OS X Lion, 27 in. display
May I ask on the topic of periodic maintenance?

I will likely be using OnyX as well but I had a question as to about how often that should be done? Are there any signs that could happen that could mean I should try to run maintenance? Thank you.

C

chas_m

There's no hard and fast rule about this. I run mine every three months or so, and I run my Mac all day, every day.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.