A few iTunes Match Questions

Reaction score
Yesterday (after several errors and issues), I successfully downloaded the new iTunes Match software. I had a few questions about how this thing actually works, just so I can be clear. Maybe some of you can help out.

- The files that have the cloud symbol next them on my iPhone are not actually on the phone. If I click on the song title (not the cloud icon), the file will play over the wi-fi network (or Cellular network, if I specify), but it'll take a moment because it's not actually ON the phone, right?

- If I click on the cloud/download icon on the right, the file essentially "downloads" to my phone, taking up the space that the file actually would had it synced the old-fashioned way, right?

- When I set this up originally, my library is a little more "empty" than before because many of my songs are in the cloud. Am I to understand that each time I play a song from my cloud, it has to be downloaded to my iPhone? So each time I shuffle songs, I'm slowly creeping toward my max capacity?

- Is there a way to specific which of the "remaining" files that weren't matched I would like to access on my iPhone? I only have a 16GB model, so I don't necessarily want all of the files that didn't match clogging up the device.

Most importantly...

- Is there a way to "reset" and go back to having everything that IS matched go back into the cloud? Playing around with it last night, I downloaded an entire playlist. If what I said above is correct, those files are now actually downloaded to my device, taking up even more space.

Many thanks for your help!
ND

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.