Time Capsule Problem

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro, 2.53GHz, C2D, 4G RAM, 250G HDD
A couple of weeks ago, my TC started exhibiting some issues. Everything had been fine since purchased, a couple of years ago. Now, the amber light flashes for a while and then it powers down. It rarely shows up as being connected to my network and I can't even get it to show up when connected directly to my MB via ethernet.

It's only half full, but for as much as it cost, I was hoping it would last longer. Does anyone have any suggestions? I've tried working through the fixes and trouble shooting in Airport utility, etc. But it's hard to fix when it isn't even recognized.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Have you tried resetting it although it sounds like the internal power supply may be going bad ?

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro, 2.53GHz, C2D, 4G RAM, 250G HDD
Yes I've tried resetting it and that didn't help.

Reaction score
similar time capsule problem

I have a first generation time capsule that also powers down. What I discovered is that it did this when a backup was commenced. I read may forums and have come to the conclusion that during backups my time capsule was over-heating.

If I leave it off for a while it will once again power up once it has had time to cool down, however, as soon as the next backup commences my time capsule flashes yellow and powers down.

I thought the power supply had burned out from over heating, however, I stopped using my time capsule for backups and instead use the time capsule strictly for wifi and I have had no problems since with the time capsule powering down. I have also placed feet on the bottom of the time capsule to allow air to circulate under the time capsule.

I plan on taking the rubber base off and replacing the hard drive with one that runs cooler. This site explains the procedure and the type of hard drive that will work: Cracking Open the Time Capsule | Applefritter

I don't know what generation time capsule you have but I hope this helps.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.