West Australian students get iBooks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
Source: MacMinute.com

West Australian students get iBooks
November 14, 2003 - 01:45 EST The West Australian government has announced an initiative (dead link removed) to equip 730 public high-school students with their own iBook at the Highbury Street campus of Geraldton Secondary College. The first installment of the Apple laptops were delivered to students last week, according to Australian IT. The rest are due to be in place for the start of the 2004 school year. The AUD$3.7 million project also funded the installation of fiber optic cabling, security lockers with power points to charge the iBooks, broadband service, wireless internal networks, curriculum software, power and communications upgrades and technical support facilities. Apple Australian managing director Tony King said the contract also included the supply of a "handful" of Xserves, "but most of the work will be at a client level."

My Comments: Lucky blokes!

S

SlicerDicer

cooleo

glad australia is moving ahead there for a while they were stangnating and horrid.

ads on tv about how wonderful a 200mhz computer was and how it was top of the line "year ago"

anyway glad to hear

OP
Murlyn
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hmm.. I was just there a little over a year ago... and they didnt' seem to be behind that much! New Zealand was further behind and then the Tahitian Islands (French Polynesia) seemed to be even further behind.. quite a lot! Australia just didnt seem that far at all...

S

SlicerDicer

well take it from me i live there half the year :) i spent 5 out of 7 days listening to there stupid tv commericals ;)

Seriously "TEN", Retravison, **** Smith, Go Harvey Norman Go, Yamaha commerical with A yibidia yibida give it a go, Powerbarn, Toyota commeicals - now those were classic sheep doing the baaa as toyota and lawnmower doing the rpm change to make the toyota jingle, Cardiaf Toyota and Kia, "many many compueter sales with 200-300mhz being WOWOWOW fully loaded with windows 98 SE"

guess thats enuff for now most of the others were annoying at best.

OP
Murlyn
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok hmm.. well the only reason I say that is because at my friends house on the outskirts of Sydney (Granville) had a computer running XP and it was pretty souped up.. and then all the internet cafe's I went too had pretty souped up machines also.. so I figured it internet cafe's, plus normal peeps had those type of machines then Oz was up to date.. anyways it's neither here nor there, it was just an interesting comment :)

S

snowdropper

well, i live in australia, and i can tell you we arent at all behind. we arent just some stupid little island you know :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.