error message appears

Reaction score
I'm getting an error message a few minutes after I start up. The screen freezes up and a box opens that says you need to restart your computer. Hold down the power button for several seconds or press the restart button.

I did that but when I try to restart, the screen is black and it gives me 3 short beeps followed by 3 long beeps and 3 more short beeps.

Any ideas what's wrong?:Confused:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2 x 2.66 Xeon 6gb DDR2 1TB OSX Server
Usually a memory error. Go ahead and try to re-seat the memory.

OP
A
Reaction score
Thanks

Thanks, but that didn't help. The error message came back up as soon as I restarted. There is a kind of grayness that scrolls over the screen with the error message in the middle of it. Any other ideas?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It still sounds like a memory error. Have you added any memory to your machine lately? What you're seeing is a kernel panic, indicating a possible hardware or software error. Most kernel panics are caused by hardware. And memory errors are a common cause of kernel panics.

You might want to test the memory. Download and use MemTest for the Mac from here.

OP
A
Reaction score
Thank you blairtechguy and chscag! I tried to reset the RAM again and this time it seems to have worked, at least so far. I'm doing a software update and then I'll run the memtest just to be sure.

Thanks again for the suggestions!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.