Newby - dock query

Reaction score
Hello, just purchased a MacBook Pro yesterday, migrating from a Windows machine...few questions!
1. how do I keep the dock at the bottom of the screen regardless of what program I have open? or what is the quickest way to have it pop back up again.

2. I have added a monitor to the macbook. I have the monitor as the main screen, the macbook being the secondary. I want mail to stay on the macbook but when i open some programs the mail program disappears from the macbook (and any other program I have placed on there).

Thanks for your help - this is definitely a huge learning curve!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to the Mac Forums.

When running a program it will appear in the Dock. If you wish for that program to remain in the Dock so it can easily be run again, right click on its icon and choose "keep in Dock". The icon that remains in the Dock is an alias which is the same as a Windows "shortcut".

When running an external monitor you can choose for it to be your primary monitor or remain as secondary. To make it primary, open System Preferences, Displays. Make sure the external monitor is detected and you can see both the internal and external side by side. Drag the toolbar menu from the internal monitor to the external monitor. That will make it primary.

Some programs may refuse to open on the external and will always default to the internal monitor. Not much you can do about those.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
how do I keep the dock at the bottom of the screen regardless of what program I have open? or what is the quickest way to have it pop back up again.

??
Do you find it moving around on you? You should be able to set it in System Preferences > Dock and it should stay put.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.