music controls while docked to car stereo?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't know
Whenever I dock my iphone to my car stereo I have to control the music from the car stereo. I HATE IT. It never really works, and the interface is nowhere near as useable as the iphone.

How do I control my music from my iphone while docked? Do I have to jailbreak it and get an app? Which app?

Thanks for any help.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
It's actually not limited by the phone, but by your car's interface. I believe most, if not all manufacturer supplied interfaces have this limitation to prevent liability issues on the part of the car manufacturer. For example, my wife's Subaru with a factory-supplied interface works this way, but my Honda, with an aftermarket USASPEC interface does not.

If it bothers you, you may want to research aftermarket alternative interfaces.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Mine does the same if I use the USB port. However, while connected to it via Bluetooth, I can control it via both the cars manual or voice controls or via the iPhone itself. If you've got a Bluetooth option, try that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD
I used to have a Sony that took control of my iPhone automatically when you plugged it in, but there was a setting on the radio to turn this "feature" off. Once it was off, I could control the music from the phone and it would play through the radio.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.