A silly question about backups

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air (2010), 1.86GHz C2D, 4GB, 128GB SSD | Power Mac G4 DA 466MHz, 1GB, OS X 10.4.11, OS 9
Hello,

From what I know, Time Machine makes backups of your entire hard drive and you can select which folders to exclude from your backups. I'd like to do it the other way round: select only the folders I want to back up, which in fact boils down to my entire home folder, which stores all my important data. I don't care about losing e.g. the applications when my Mac's hard drive crashes.

I backup the hard drive of my Windows PC in the same way - just the data such as documents, photos, mp3 files and the like.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
So just select everything except the folders you want backing up. Simple.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Time Machine > Options > Exclude These you hit the +. Are you sure you want to do this if something happens to your internal hard drive and you let Time Machine run as normal you can put back everything a whole lot easier and faster and since hard drives with large storage is very cheap buy at least 1TB.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.