Overcomplicated Way to Get Two Monitors

Reaction score
So I do video editing for a law firm and they have bought me a new MacBook Pro. Rather than have them buy me a second monitor, I was thinking I would have them buy me a second Macbook. Follow me here... I can get a used macbook for about $500 on craigslist... If I can run a cable from the MBP they just bought to a regular Macbook then my wife could use the regular macbook and not mess up anything on the Pro...
So is it possible to use a second macbook as a monitor for the pro?
Does this make sense?
What cables would I need?
Would an Ipad make more sense?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Mac notebook computers have a video output port, no input. The only Mac that currently allows video in is the iMac 27" model. There are other ways to hook up two Mac notebook computers but for all practical purposes you will be much better off with a good high resolution external monitor.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Unibody 13" 150 GB HDD
Mac notebook computers have a video output port, no input. The only Mac that currently allows video in is the iMac 27" model. There are other ways to hook up two Mac notebook computers but for all practical purposes you will be much better off with a good high resolution external monitor.

I agree. I use a external monitor with my Macbook and it runs great.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.