How could the one differs from the other?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBA
I have a MBA bought in Oct 2009 [Intel Core 2 Duo 2.13GHz, 2GB RAM,NVIDIA Geforce 9400M] and a first generation Ipod Touch.

Both play well on the Home WiFi for You Tube.

My question is this while I am on the You-Tube, I could feel MBA beneath get warmer/hot but I do not feel any major change in temperature in my iPod Touch.

I would have thought that the MBA being a masculine version of the two computers, it[MBA] should not get hotter!!?

I ask this because I intend to buy an iPad WiFi + 3G and would like to know if anything especially made in the iPod Touch or the iPad for You-Tube? those two are better than a MBA for the purposes of You-Tube? [or there is no such difference, please excuse my ignorance] :[

Thanking you
Regards

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
The MPA can use Flash to play uTube videos, Flash is particularly processor hungry so could easily heat up the machine

Both the iPod Touch and iPad use H264 video, youtube will detect that they dont have flash and switch to H264, which is a much more efficient video playback format - hence the lack of heat

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBA
The MPA can use Flash to play uTube videos, Flash is particularly processor hungry so could easily heat up the machine

Both the iPod Touch and iPad use H264 video, youtube will detect that they dont have flash and switch to H264, which is a much more efficient video playback format - hence the lack of heat

So if my main interest are web browsing and watching You Tube, a iPad is more optimally designed for the task than a MBA?

Thank you for your explanation and an answer louishen.

Regards

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
If all you're doing is browsing the web and watching Youtube, then yes, the iPad is definitely optimal for those tasks.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
If you use a modern browser, go here and join the HTML5 trial. Now, any video available as an HTML5 video will play that way as opposed to in the Flash player which as louishen noted, is likely the cause for the heat increase.

The YT HTML5 trial page lists supported browsers.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
Note Youtube is currently one of the exceptions to the rule - a lot of video on the web is still flash based. So if your web browsing consists of flash heavy sites (like video sites) - either see if they have an iOS friendly version or an app. Otherwise the iOS device may have problems.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBA
If you use a modern browser, go here and join the HTML5 trial. Now, any video available as an HTML5 video will play that way as opposed to in the Flash player which as louishen noted, is likely the cause for the heat increase.

The YT HTML5 trial page lists supported browsers.
Thank you for that information.
I have joined the trial.

Regards

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.