Help!!

Reaction score
Hey

So...my 2010 Macbook pro crashes. Screen goes black, you can still here the computer on but cannot do anything. Forced to hard boot (hold down power button till off). Every time this happens, I believe I have chrome open. So I was wondering if any one else's macs had an crashes due to google Chrome??

If so..how to solve it. I'm trying to use Safari and really dislike it. Slow and don't really like the interface.

Please help!!

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
There is always Firefox. However it's slower than Safari.

Chrome doesn't "crash" my MB.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram
Maybe try uninstalling/reinstalling Chrome?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
In the future, please use more descriptive titles. "Help" doesn't really explain anything.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Hey

So...my 2010 Macbook pro crashes. Screen goes black, you can still here the computer on but cannot do anything. Forced to hard boot (hold down power button till off). Every time this happens, I believe I have chrome open. So I was wondering if any one else's macs had an crashes due to google Chrome??

If so..how to solve it. I'm trying to use Safari and really dislike it. Slow and don't really like the interface.

Please help!!

Note that forced power downs generally compound the underlying issue(s) by creating filesystem corruption. If you haven't already done so, you would be well advised to run verify/repair disk and verify/repair permissions, as well as run fsck in Single User mode (method described in step 9 here).

I would be willing to bet that Chrome isn't the cause as it's very difficult for an application to crash a modern OS (including Windows), and typically if OS X crashes, it's by way of a kernel panic (which is evident by a translucent screen that overlays the existing app windows and OS). I'd be willing to bet that you've got a hardware problem and would recommend running the Apple Hardware Test. But please do continue testing with other browsers to see if the problem re-emerges.

As far as speed comparisons between Chrome/Safari/Firefox, I honestly think the argument is almost laughable. First of all, Safari and Chrome both use WebKit for rendering. They differ in their Javascript engines, and really, we're talking about microseconds of difference in rendering. In other words, the difference is indiscernible and anyone who claims otherwise is deluded by marketing. Preferences in terms of UI and add-ons are certainly valid, but performance differences are likely a function of the web server you happen to be hitting and the conditions of your ISP - those things will definitely create a discernible difference.

Comparing Firefox to Chrome/Safari is a little different since Firefox's rendering engine is slower in terms of seconds. But then again, Firefox renders a page all at once, rather than rendering parts and pieces in series. Personally, I prefer the Firefox approach and actually think it feels faster since I'm not watching the webpage "paint" itself.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.