Ethernet Connection

Reaction score
With a Mac :Confused:I am 100 percent useless. I know a good deal about troubleshooting connections in windows but here I have no idea :Confused:.

My mother has a mac that she is trying to connect through ethernet. I have already checked the cable and that is not the problem. On the upper right there is a little phone icon that I click on and then click connect. After a couple of seconds it fails and says: "The connection failed because you have not entered a telephone number"

I am assuming that this is the internal modem trying to dial out, which is not what I want.

I clicked on the phone icon again and opened internet connections. Under File I opened up New connection window.

I set the Internal Modem to idle and went to the 802.1X and clicked connected. However it just sits there and says connecting and nothing happens.

Any ideas would be great, thanks

OP
P
Reaction score
Went through those troubleshooting steps and still no go.

I opened System Preferences and under network tab the Built-in Ethernet, which is what I want to use to connect, has a red dot next to it. Next to that it says "The cable for the Built-in Ethernet is not plugged in"

I configured the Built-in Ethernet under the TCP/IP I set it to manually and filled in what was needed and still no go.

It is running OS X 10.3

Thanks for any help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" 2.4 GHz Dual Core 3GB Ram 320GB Hard Drive 10.6.2 :: Ipod Touch 8 GB :: Beastly Gaming PC
If the modem is relatively new, perhaps there is a compatibility error. 10.3 is a pretty old OS; the computer and the modem are having some difficulty communicating. I'm really not too sure where to go from here. :(

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.