Battery Icon Issues?

Reaction score
I am having an issue with my battery icon on the menu bar. When I have the Macbook charging via the wall charger, the icon will occasionally flash from (100%) with a charging icon to an icon with an (X) in the battery. Sometimes this will flash a couple of times and then the issue will stop. Other times, the (X) battery icon will remain in place. When the (X) battery icon is in place, unplugging the Macbook from the wall charger will shut the notebook off.

Does anybody have any advice?

Macbook Specs:
-Mac OSX 10.5.4
-2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
-4GB 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It sounds as if your battery is either defective or it's approaching the end of its life. How many charge - recharge cycles has the battery been through and is the machine still under warranty?

Regards.

OP
N
Reaction score
20 cycles.

I just bought this Macbook in February so I think it still is.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I would contact Apple tech support then and report the problem to them. The battery certainly should still be in excellent condition after only 20 cycles. Although I suppose it's possible the battery could be at fault. It may even be a problem with the charging circuit itself. In any event, I would contact Apple.

If it turns out the battery is bad, they'll replace it with a new one. And of course they will repair any problem with the charging circuit if there is one.

Regards.

OP
N
Reaction score
Thanks so much for the help. I will call Apple Support as soon as I get home from work. Thanks again!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.