iPod question..switching from Windows to Mac?

Reaction score
I just got a macbook, before I had a pc with windows that I always used with my ipod. Am I going to be able to plug my ipod into the macbook and it will work? Or is everything going to have to be erased on it? thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
I just got a macbook, before I had a pc with windows that I always used with my ipod. Am I going to be able to plug my ipod into the macbook and it will work? Or is everything going to have to be erased on it? thanks!

A windows formatted iPod will work on a mac. Syncing may be a little slower but that's about it.

However, whether you'll have everything erased on the ipod will depend on if you've moved your entire library, pictures, playlists and anything else you sync over from your PC to your mac.

There's an article on how to do this on the Apple site http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=300173

If you Google you'll find lots of 3rd party guides if the Apple one doesn't suit.

To be honest though. Your probably better moving everything across to your mac. Formatting your ipod and then re-syncing everything back rather than trying to just keep what's there at the moment.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook (early 2006): 1.83 GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, OSX Leopard and iPod 5th Gen 30GB
since I'm the token mac owner in the house, I often find myself syncing everyone's iPods (when everyone else has vista/xp). I've never had any problems with this. So long as you don't format it if you intend to use it again with a windows Pc you should be OK:)

dave

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.