Lifespan on iMAC LCD and other questons...

J

Just-A-Boy

Okay, I purchased my first Apple product. At first, I wanted to buy Apple mini-mac but they only came with Intel Core Duo (which is only 32-bit). And Mac Pro was too powerful for my needs since I only needed a computer to send email, surf the net, and do my homework.

So I decided to buy an iMac with Intel Core 2 Duo 2.16GHz plus the 3 year Apple Support plan. I received my iMac and I just loooooove Mac OS X. And its my first time using Apple's operating system.

But Im kinda skeptical about the lifespan on the LCD screen. Since iMac is all-in-one if the screen goes out... then its impossible to use it unless I hook it to another moniter. I have not had good experiece with LCD. My Sharp Aquos LCD TV screen died out after 8 month use. Took forever for Sharp to fix it. And their supposed to be LCD leaders. According to them that is.

Any comments?

And the other questions are... can the HDD in iMac be upgraded?

Thanks

Jem

Reaction score
Just-A-Boy said:
Okay, I purchased my first Apple product. At first, I wanted to buy Apple mini-mac but they only came with Intel Core Duo (which is only 32-bit). And Mac Pro was too powerful for my needs since I only needed a computer to send email, surf the net, and do my homework.

Sorry... I am trying not to laugh :cool:, but seriously... re-read that statement. So you think that the "only 32-bit" Intel Core Duo wouldn't be up to sending email, surfing the net and doing your homework but the Mac Pro is too powerful? The performance increase from Core Duo to Core 2 Duo is hardly staggering and won't make any difference to your ability to do the tasks you list.

Just-A-Boy said:
So I decided to buy an iMac with Intel Core 2 Duo 2.16GHz plus the 3 year Apple Support plan. I received my iMac and I just loooooove Mac OS X. And its my first time using Apple's operating system.

But Im kinda skeptical about the lifespan on the LCD screen. Since iMac is all-in-one if the screen goes out... then its impossible to use it unless I hook it to another moniter. I have not had good experiece with LCD. My Sharp Aquos LCD TV screen died out after 8 month use. Took forever for Sharp to fix it. And their supposed to be LCD leaders. According to them that is.

Any comments?

Thanks

I must say I haven't read a single post on this board (or any other, but I'm mostly here) relating to a failed LCD so I don't think you've anything to worry about, anyway, with 3 years Apple Support if the worst did happen you'll be covered.

The HDD can and can't be upgraded ;) Officially, no, it can't. Unofficially I'm sure you could take it apart and change it. But the simplest thing to do is to get an external drive. If you get a firewire then you can even boot from it if you desire.

I've got an old PC drive I had lying around in an external enclosure I bought off eBay and have no problems at all.

Good luck with your purchase :)

Reaction score
Just-A-Boy said:

Any comments?

Thanks

If the LCD is gonna go it'll most likely be in the first year. Mine was replaced in my iMacG5 powerpc about 7mths into the 1st yr. If you have the extra AppleCare protection then you have nothing to worry. My local AppleStore took 17 days to return my iMac in that instance. While this is a long time and it felt like forever, it wasn't.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)
Don't worry much about the LCD. As the previous poster mentioned you hardly hear ppl. having problems with their iMacs with respect to LCD screen.

can the HDD in iMac be upgraded?
External HD is probably the best choice.

Post some pics. of your iMac, if possible :)

OP
H

Hulk_SMASH

3 years Applesupport, bah! It's a waste of money, for the amount you pay for that, in 3 years you'll be able to buy the same monitor for less. Since you already bought it though, good luck.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
I have had an iMac G5 since its first revision and have had no issues with my screen having never even turned it off

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.