Best way to transfer music/video files from iMac to Macbook Air?

Reaction score
Hi there, I am a long time iPad user so am used to syncing the movies/music I want from my iMac which is the 'hub' of our home and holds our entire iTunes library. I recently got rid of the iPad and purchased a Macbook Air instead as I needed it for a course I am completing.

My question is, my iTunes library is around 800GB whereas my Macbook Air is 256GB flash drive. I don't have the room to copy my entire library onto the Air and I don't have a syncing option as I did with the iPad.

What is the best way to move video and/or music files between my iMac and Mac Air. I would prefer to do it wirelessly; FYI I have a newer Time Capsule on which my home network runs. I assume there must be some way to remotely access my iMac via shared files, just wondering if that's the best way out there.

OP
N
Reaction score
Yes that will allow me to stream the videos and music which I do now but I want to know the best way to transfer the actual files. I travel a lot and am not always on my home network....

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Yep - Home Sharing does that too.

Re-read the first link above.

Turn it on and play with it some.
Set the new Mac to Show Items not in my library
Highlight, drag and drop them from the list on the right into the Library section of the sidebar to copy them to the new machine.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.