Age of Empires II Unable to Join Game

Reaction score
I have Gameranger. I can successfully host games.. but whenever I try to join someone else's it says "unable to join game". Also I tried to host a game for my friend and it looks like he has the same issue as I do. He can't join my hosted game.

I think this might have to do w/ our firewalls. We have both installed the 1.0.6 update and we are both running 10.5.5 osx

Can anyone tell me what might be the problem? Thanks in advance! let's play some age!!

Reaction score
Solution to the issue

Okay so after having these issues for a straight 24 hours, I finally figure out how to fix it. I've looked at every forum on google about this and finally found something that was unrelated to both gameranger AND age of empires ii... but this fixed my problems with the "unable to join game" while using gameranger.

Open your router preferences (http://192.168.1.1/ if you're linksys) and go to the Administration tab, go down to the bottom and click disable upnp.

THEN, go to application and gaming and go to the sub-tab "DMZ." Click enable and then add a number to your ip address (should be the one you already know, and if you don't just look under your network preferences).

I hope to God that everyone finds this helpful, because I looked at every forum before I figured this out.

Bon chance mates.

OP
J
Reaction score
I can't thank you enough for your post. I actually checked back here a year ago and didn't see anything. Then my friend asked me to play again. We decided to give it another go 2 years later. Still "unable to join game". So I googled the problem again.. and found my original post. This time with an answer. So thank you!!

Reaction score
So I'm back... Same issues again. I tried what I already did. It appears I'm able to join games on gameranger, but not host. Also, sometimes I can't join games on gameranger and I don't know why. Advice?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.