Good brand of Cable Modem to buy?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
My 6 yr old Terayon cable modem is dying. What would be a good replacement modem to purchase?
I'd like to stay under $70 if possible.
Looking for something reliable that doesn't drop connection very often. Once every few months is possibly acceptable.

Thanks! :)

OP
MYmacROX
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks guys.
Yeah, my router is a D-Link and I like it a lot.

I looked at this D-link modem on Amazon.
And this Linksys modem was at Best Buy and Target tonight. $10 cheaper at Target.
I'm curious if there's any brands I should stay away from, too. The Cable co. is sending a tech on Monday and I told them I "might" just buy my modem from them. But not if all they have is junky cheap brands (although I don't know what those would be).

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Don't know your cable provider is but normally most will replace a defective cable modem for another as long as you're a subscriber. If they refuse, tell them you'll look for another ISP. Verizon just sent me a new router to replace an older model which died. No charge. They even shipped it to me overnight UPS.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
I agree with chscag, speak to your ISP. Mine sent me a new modem and wireless N router when I asked.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
Some times the ISP charges for you to rent to modem. Saves money if u purchase your own.

OP
MYmacROX
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I purchased my current modem 6 yrs ago from them (My ISP) and when I spoke to them on the phone last week, they said it is only warrantied for the first year. So if it needs to be replaced, I have to pay for the new one.

I have never rented a modem - always purchased since it is more economical if you're going to stay put for at least 6 mos or more.

The technician will be here sometime in the next 2 hrs and I'll find out what he says then. The modem hasn't given me any problems all weekend, but I'm still worried since it's dropped connection several times over the past 10 days or so and it used to only do it once or twice a year. :\

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.