Does iOS need a more functional UI?

Reaction score
Now, bear in mind that I've never owned an iPhone, but I've used iPod Touchs pretty extensively and owned one for about a week before I sold it so I may be just a little ignorant about a couple of key points. My question, despite all of that, is this: does the iOS UI need to be more functional, or at the very least more customizable?

I own a Droid Incredible (fantastic phone, by the way) and I've found that Sense, like the MAC OS, is a real pleasure to use. Everything works well, the widgets are beautiful, and you can change just about any setting you want. Otherwise, every experience I've had with an iOS lets you choose your background and the order your apps are in...and that's it.

My biggest annoyance with my iPod Touch before selling it was that I couldn't even simply remove apps from the home screen to some other database, as I can with every Android device. Call me weird, but a home screen that is absolutely full seems cluttered and is actually a little bit overwhelming.

Do you think that iOS should at least have some more customization? What else would you change?

I know that, for me, despite loving just about everything else Apple (new Nano sucks, as I was going to get my girlfriend the old iteration for Christmas) and absolutely adoring the industrial design of the iPhone 4, I don't see myself going from Android to Apple.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
The iOS UI is VERY functional and your lack of experience might excuse you thinking otherwise...

If you like your Android phone, by all means enjoy..I, on the other hand, absolutely love the iOS..and wouldn't bother with an Android phone (having played with a few, Driod, DriodX...)

Regards

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
IOS 4 has folders which would address your concern about clutter.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
The good news is there are many phone OS platforms available. I like Android and iOS myself. I'm sure iOS will "open up" a bit as it gets shoved to more and more Apple products. You can't really phase out OS XI with iOS if it can't run MS Office, VM's, VLC or the like. ;)

Reaction score
Folders..Folders…oh yeah- Folders!

I'd say iOS is customizable in a big way.

-wallpapers
-App folders (12 apps per folder)
-11 home screens
-250,000 apps on the App Store

It goes a long way.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.