testing a superdrive

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13. 2.26. 4 gig.
I've got a superdrive that I pulled from a macbook with a toasted logic board. I want to put it into another macbook with a burned out optical drive, but I don't know if it works. It worked before the logic board went, but it was water damage, so I don't know it that was shorted as well.

Is there any way to test the Superdrive before I install it? I have to get an enclosure to see if the hdd is functional, but I don't know if the same thing is available for the Superdrive.
Thanks

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I've got a superdrive that I pulled from a macbook with a toasted logic board. I want to put it into another macbook with a burned out optical drive, but I don't know if it works. It worked before the logic board went, but it was water damage, so I don't know it that was shorted as well.

Is there any way to test the Superdrive before I install it? I have to get an enclosure to see if the hdd is functional, but I don't know if the same thing is available for the Superdrive.
Thanks

I'm not sure of the exact model superdrive you have (you didn't mention it)...but here's something that may work:

SATA Optical Drive (Superdrive) Enclosure for Unibody Macbook

...or at least it let's you know that this sort of enclosure exists.

Hope this helps,

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.