new logic board...

Reaction score
Anyone know how much a new logic board will set me back? I am ASSUMING I need a new one... my MBP (bought in July 2007) will no longer boot at all... get to the screen where the apple shows up and all of the sudden I get the "you must restart your computer" screen... I think what happened is something went screwy with the logic board (perhaps because of a faulty magsafe adapter or other usb device).. it's the only thing i can think of...

so...

1. how much would a new one cost to install (and no, I don't have applecare... yes, I know I am an idiot!!)

2. has anyone else had a problem like this...?

3. has anyone ever replaced a logic board..?

4. is it even worth it for me, or should I shell out the $2500 for a new MBP with applecare.... and then I will be good for another 3 years...?

Any help or opinions would be appreciated! Thanks so much!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP 2.53 DC2, 09 Mini 2.0 DC2, 07 Mini 2.16 DC2, MB 2.0 DC2, iBook G3 900MHz, G4 Sawtooth 1.6Ghz
i would take it to an apple store and have them diagnose the problem to be sure then make your decision from there.

if it is the logic board and apple fixes it then you get a warranty on it for i believe 6 months. unless your very techy it is a tough swap out to do yourself.

Reaction score
Run an Apple Hardware test from the restore discs.

Maybe its just bad ram, specially if the machine boots and you get what i think its a kernel panic (you must restart your computer bla bla)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Definitely run the hardware test as has been suggested. A defective logic board, although possible, should not be considered until after the more common defects have been eliminated.

I would start first with suspecting the hard drive. (most common failure)

Anyway, follow Apple's troubleshooting tips and the troubleshooting tips that are posted in this forum before you do anything else.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.