ibook laptop screen trouble

Reaction score
well the screen on my laptop is pretty well dead. the hinges that hold the screen on broke originally which caused the screen to shatter from being contorted oddly. i am currently using it through the vga port converted to a s-vid output to my tv... needless to say the quality is sub par.

anyways i thought of an idea to save my laptop without having to fork out the cash for a new one. this is to take off the screen that is on there now and somehow hardwire another one to it in its place, then putting the whole set up into a pelican case or a breifcase. is there anyway to do this?

first how would i go about taking off the screen without damaging my computer in the process. then how would i use the connections and wires already connected to my computer to attach a new screen. my warranty is already expired so im not too worried about voiding it

and finally i was wandering what type of screen i would have to use. would it have to be a ibook one. or would any apple (or other brand) flat pannel work?

basically my goal is to have a frankenstein monotor attached to my laptop that would still be able to draw power from my computer so i could still have the versitility of a mobile computer unit.

thanks in advance for your help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.93C2D 4GB
CLICK!

Just choose your model and then the part you'd like to replace.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" G3 ibook, 15" 1.67ghz powerbook, 15" 800mhz DVI powerbook
new hinges

if you are going through the trouble to rip the screen off, you will probably notice that the hinges are broken. this $20 part would fix the problem and if you are removing the screen, you are already 3/4 there. I'd take the computer apart enough to take the screen off, but check on the hinges and if that is the problem, replace the hinges (metal screen frame) and get the laptop back in working condition. I don't think you'll save too much time or effort by putting it in a case.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.