Time Machine frequent hard drive access

Reaction score
I'm a recent switcher having purchased an early 2008 iMac 24 2.8 Ghz computer a month ago. I am extremely happy with it. What a beautifully designed product with an amazing display. Still getting used to the OS since I've used windows only since day one.

Three days ago hooked up an iomega ultramax 500 drive as my time machine drive via firewire 400. Installation was a breeze. It did its initial backup with no problem and does hourly backups as well.

I notice that my time machine drive starts up and is accessed quite frequently. (Not just for hourly backups). Perhaps the drive starts up every 15 minutes or so.

Is this normal?

Should I be concerned about this?
Thank you so much for your help.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
It will be accessed constantly - basically any time files (including hidden and system files) are modified.

OP
T
Reaction score
Thanks so much for the reply. It just thought the time machine drive should be accessed only on backups. That makes me feel better.
This forum is a great resource. Thanks again.
Bob

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.