Microsoft formats and OSX?

Reaction score
Hey!

So my question is do i have to download some specific programs for the latest OSX to tead .docx/.pptx files? And can OSX own programs also save files in these formats?

And if not, i need the Microsoft Office 2011 for Mac, right?

THanks!

rez

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2009 Macbook 2.26GHZ 4GB RAM 250GB HDD 64GB SSD
hey,

I've had both Pages and Word on my mac, I've also had Powerpoint and Keynote.

Pages can open word files from Microsoft Word doc and docx files, however by default it will save in Pages format; you'd need to export it as a Doc file to be able to open your work in Word on a PC.

Keynote can open pptx files but seems to always have formatting issues for me! It can also save in pptx format.

The choice is up to you, whether you buy iWork or MO for Mac. Have a look around at people's reviews and make an informed decision!

Let me know if you have any other questions or if I haven't been clear.

rez

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Yes Office 2011 and it is a great product. For PowerPoint think you will need the Business version and not Academic.

C

chas_m

The actual answer to the OP's question is "no and yes."

No, you do not have to buy anything (at all) to read docx files. Text Edit (included with the Mac) can read and write files in that format.

For pptx, you will need a external solution. Either you can buy Keynote ($20) and step up to a whole new and better world of presenting, or buy MS Office for Mac, or download one of the free "Office-like" suites (LibreOffice is currently the best supported, or so I'm told).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Early 2012 13" MBA Core i5 1.8 GHz, 4GB RAM, 128 GB SSD, OS X 10.7.4
Libre Office is a free download from libreoffice.org and can read the doc. and docx formats. It is a complete office suite and serves as a good replacement for M$ Office. I use it a lot and haven't had any problems so far. The Word processor, spreadsheet,presentation unit and database all work well - you get the full Office feeling for a lot less payout.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.