• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Can't decide, Alienware M11x or Macbook Air. ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I can't decide, for the life od me, which one I want. Both of them have stong pros, as well as their cons. I like the mba, but I hate how it doesn't have a backlit keyboard. The m11x is a powerhouse of a 11" notebook, but doesn't do much for thickness. I also don't care much for it's hdd, which is why I didn't change it...I have my own. The mba's ssd is nice, but harder to replace/upgrade(for now at least). These are the configurations I would pick set them as if I would pick one.

M11X specs:
System Color:
Alienware M11x, Soft Touch Stealth Black
Processor:
Intel® Core™ i5 520UM (3M Cache, 1.066 GHZ with 1.866 GHz Max Turbo Frequency) - Overclockable
Operating System:
Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium (64-bit)
Memory:
8GB Dual Channel DDR3 at 800MHz
Hard Drive:
320GB SATAII 7,200RPM
Video Card:
1GB NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 335M
Sound:
Internal High-Definition Surround Sound Audio (5.1)
Security Software:
McAfee SecurityCenter, 30-Day Trial (LOLOL)
Wireless:
Alienware M11x a/b/g/n 2x2 MIMO Wireless
7.5 hour battery life
Total: $1,119

Macbook Air 11"
1.6GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM
128GB Flash Storage
GeForce 320M
Total: $1,329

My gut is telling me something, but I'm having a hard time going with it.
Which would you pick? Anyone have the M11 by any chance? Or used one ever? How about the MBA 11?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
Used both these machines as it would happen, I would sway towards the M11x you get more for your money.
But of course the Air is so gorgeous and with OSX... beauty or more for money lol

- Simon

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Seems to me if your looking at 11" models portability and weight the MBA might be better
suited because of weight and thinness.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
What are you going to do on it? That's should be the biggest consideration.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D 2.26 | 500GB Seagate Momentus | 2GB 1066 (soon to be 8)
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
My only complaints on the current MBAs are the lack of keyboard back lighting, and the move of the "Power" button the the place on the keyboard that use to the the "eject" button. Both sound like good machines, so I'd suggest getting whichever you think can do what you want most reliably.

Reaction score
I bought a refurbished i5 M11x just a few weeks ago. It was very heavy, very clunky, and frankly just not very well thought out. The only positive thing was the 1GB video card and the LED lighting. Once you got past the LED's, it was just another Dell. The interesting thing is that when you closed the lid, the keys were hitting the screen!! What a poor design.

I ended up sending it back and buying a 13" Macbook Pro for the same money. The MBP has better battery life by far, better web surfing performance, runs MUCH cooler, but cannot touch the M11x when it comes to playing games or tweaking.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13"
Going to game? Pick up that M11x.

As you know, the MBA is fantastic.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Gaming on a notebook ewww....but if you must go with a computer that is actually designed to do so.

As much as I like Macs they aren't built for gaming.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Gaming on a notebook ewww....but if you must go with a computer that is actually designed to do so.

As much as I like Macs they aren't built for gaming.

But you can game on them quite nicely if you want to. Mind you we are talking an MBA here. Which is what I would think one of the least capable Macs in terms of gaming. But you'd be surprised at the number of games that will run on it.

My opinion is how much is using OS X worth it to you. If you don't need OS X, go for the alienware thing. It's a butt ugly monstrosity. But it's specs are not all that bad. And you can kinda game on it. It's be ok. It has a nice GPU. But the CPU looks a little dodgy to me. 1.0ghz overclockable to 1.8 ghz. That it just screaming out overheating to me. I would expect one hot little notebook if it was set to 1.8 ghz all the time.

But if you really want to do some work on the notebook and want OS X on it then best to get the Macbook. And the SSD will really make swapping applications and all the daily tasks just fly so fast. You'll probably need to get some kind of external hard drive for time machine or extra storage too I guess.

There is a 3rd option. The 13 inch MBP for $1200US. That's a nice option.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
My 15" MBP gets up to 80c just browsing the internet. It's horrible when trying to do anything that taxes the GPU.

OP
iggibar
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I don't care about gaming, but the m11x just so happens to be in my price range. I was thinking about the Air, when I thought about what other possibilities there are. After reading a bunch of computer magazines, I thought it was right to look at the M11x. I'm not dumb enough to buy a "pc" computer just for gaming, but I do want the best my money can buy, that will be an all around good computer. I already have a desktop that more than meets my needs for it...and it's only a PM G5:D

My 15" MBP gets up to 80c just browsing the internet. It's horrible when trying to do anything that taxes the GPU.
80*c? Just on the internet? Mine usually stays at 44-46*c, then goes to 58-low 60's when playing videos. It will reach 70 and 80+ if I place it on weird surfaces though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
I already have a desktop that more than meets my needs for it...and it's only a PM G5:D
Hmmmm maybe the MBA/MBP with SL or Lion might help future proof your life a little. As PPC apps are a dying breed unfortunately.

OP
iggibar
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Hmmmm maybe the MBA/MBP with SL or Lion might help future proof your life a little. As PPC apps are a dying breed unfortunately.

I already have SL on my MBP. I don't mind the 13" MBP, but getting that would be kind of lame since I already have the uni 15" mbp. I'm actually am not having a problem with apps not working on the G5. I got it specifically to hold all my media files, and it does that job very well.

To be honest, I'm not even in a hurry to get anything...I just got the itch and means. The one thing I noticed about the m11 is that the price of them used has dropped really fast. If apple releases a backlit keyboard option for the new 11" air within 3-4 months, I can wait. But I have a feeling they might never do it. I did want to get something before the next semester starts though.

Losing OSX is what drives me away from everything else on the market.
Also, 1.8ghz isn't the overclock speed, it's the turboboost feature in the Core i5 processor. It has the potential to be tuned and overclocked even further, even though I don't care at all about overclocking.

I think I know what the obvious choice is...
Did I mention I hate Dell?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Losing OSX is what drives me away from everything else on the market.

I think I know what the obvious choice is...
Did I mention I hate Dell?
Look at my post about the hinge issue too ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Also, 1.8ghz isn't the overclock speed, it's the turboboost feature in the Core i5 processor. It has the potential to be tuned and overclocked even further, even though I don't care at all about overclocking.
It's still extra heat though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4ghz quad core ati 5850 graphics card 4GB ddr3 ram
I would go with the alienware, simply because of price and specs.

Reaction score
I have both laptops and as long as serious gaming isn't a priority, I'd go with the MBA. This might be a long post, but I thought I'd give my impressions of both machines after using them for a while.

I bought the M11x (R2) in August 2010 because I was traveling a lot and wanted a portable machine I could game with. Since I got it, I've almost had nothing but problems. The screen came with a bunch of dust behind it. I called Dell, they sent out a tech to replace it with a "new" screen, but the screen was used and had green magic marker all over it. Another tech came out again and gave me another screen, which had a piece of plastic stuck between the screen and bezel and glowed whenever the screen was on, which was very annoying. The tech also broke the keyboard while he was "fixing" my machine.

I called Dell and complained and was sent a replacement. Apparently it was new, but there were paint bubbles, the body wasn't completely snapped together, and there were minor scratches on it. I was fed up with getting my machine fixed, so I just decided to live with the problems.

After using it for a few months, I realized that I wasn't doing any serious gaming with it. I have a new HP Envy 14 at home I use as a gaming machine, and the gaming I was doing with the M11x while on the road probably totaled ten hours over three months. The M11x is also very heavy, and the power adapter is massive. I couldn't believe how heavy such a small machine was, and I was getting tired of lugging it around when I actually didn't game that much on it. I really wanted to game, but I didn't have much time while traveling, so I felt I was putting up with all the M11x's shortcomings (heavy, poor screen, bad build quality) without enjoying its main benefits: gaming power. That's when I started to look at the MBA.

I've never owned a Mac before, and have used Windows and some Linux my whole life. I was never against Mac computers, I just thought I could get more for my money from a non-Mac PC. I had it with the M11x, though, after playing with a MBA in the Apple store I took the plunge and ordered a 11.6" MBA with 128GB SSD and 4GB of RAM.

For the actual specs, this machine is overpriced. But for what you actually get, I would gladly pay more. This machine was perfect from the moment I opened the box. The screen simply blows the M11x's out of the water. I didn't realize how bad the M11x screen was until I put it next to the MBA. The build quality of the MBA is also fantastic. No paint bubbles, parts not put together, or scratches. It is so light and thin, and what I really love is the small power adapter. I can fit it and my MBA in my bag and barely notice it's there! That can't be said for the M11x. And the trackpad. Wow, all I can say is it is the best trackpad I have ever used. I can't believe Windows PC makers are so far behind. I took a two week trip to Europe over the holidays and brought the MBA with me and it was a dream to use. I'm also falling in love with OS X, and I find myself using the MBA more than my Envy at home because of how much fun I'm having getting to learn the (new to me) OS.

I still have the M11x, though it will be sold soon. The only thing I miss from the M11x is the gaming power and the backlight keyboard. I was surprised, though, that the MBA can game a little in a pinch. I'm not a hardcore gamer, I just like to have the occasional game of Starcraft 2 while I'm on the road, plus less demanding games like Amnesia. To my pleasant surprise, both of these games ran fine on my MBA on low settings, which is fine for me when I'm traveling. For serious gaming I have my Envy 14 or PS3.

Anyway, congratulations if you've read this far! I might have not bought a MBA if it was my only computer, but as a second computer, in my opinion, the 11" MBA can't be beat and is worth the extra cost. The computer is a joy to use, and I feel like I finally have found my perfect travel companion!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Village Idiot said:

80*c? Just on the internet? Mine usually stays at 44-46*c, then goes to 58-low 60's when playing videos. It will reach 70 and 80+ if I place it on weird surfaces though.

Just as an aside, I'm curious why you both used Celsius instead of Fahrenheit. You both appear to be residents of the US. Just a fan of the other way or what?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just as an aside, I'm curious why you both used Celsius instead of Fahrenheit. You both appear to be residents of the US. Just a fan of the other way or what?

Most monitoring apps are in celsius, not farenheit.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.