Thinking about buying a MacMini...

Reaction score
First time user of this site... basically life long Mac user

If this question is not in the appropriate forum then I apologize and please feel free to move it.

I am looking to get a desktop, but I am currently a student so my budget is somewhat limited. I am thinking I might get the most bang for my buck going with a Mac Mini. From what I have read they do not plan on updating the mini any time soon? Pretty much just looking for some feedback on a quality "desktop" with a reasonable price tag, and some feed back on the minis.

Thanks

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Certainly not an "Apple Rumors & Reports" topic...thread moved to appropriate sub-forum.

- Nick

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
First time user of this site... basically life long Mac user

If this question is not in the appropriate forum then I apologize and please feel free to move it.

I am looking to get a desktop, but I am currently a student so my budget is somewhat limited. I am thinking I might get the most bang for my buck going with a Mac Mini. From what I have read they do not plan on updating the mini any time soon? Pretty much just looking for some feedback on a quality "desktop" with a reasonable price tag, and some feed back on the minis.

Thanks

If you already have the Monitor and Keyboard Minis are great values. I have one that I use as a Desktop sytem.

But, if you intend to purchase the peripherals you will probably get more bang for your buck with an iMac.

OP
A
Reaction score
If you already have the Monitor and Keyboard Minis are great values. I have one that I use as a Desktop sytem.

But, if you intend to purchase the peripherals you will probably get more bang for your buck with an iMac.

Thanks for the reply. I have a keyboard and I was thinking about using an old 32 inch LCD tv for the monitor (is this a common thing to do?).

But with that said, is it a good time to buy an iMac right now?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
But with that said, is it a good time to buy an iMac right now?

Depends. If you need a computer now...then yes...now is the time to buy.

But if you can wait (don't ask how long, we don't know)...the iMac line is probably the next model to be upgraded by Apple.

But regardless...if you have a tight budget...then waiting for new iMac models to be released is not a "good thing" for limited budgets...since those new iMac's will sell for top dollar.

You're much better off shopping Apple's refurb. section...and saving a few hundred $$$ on current models.

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.