Drums?

Reaction score
I've started playing with GarageBand a little bit lately, but it's difficult without drums.
I know that I can use Apple Loops, but I'd rather create my own beats.
Does anyone know of a good free or cheap drum program that I can export into GarageBand as a midi or something?
I have used Hydrogen on Linux, but I'd rather something made for Mac.

Cheers.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook :: Unibody:250Gb HD:4Gb RAM | iPhone 3G :: 8Gb :: Jailbroken
I was looking for something like that, too. I really enjoy using Reason, but it's no where near free. I know it's not the same as using your own beats, but Looperman.com has a HUGE selection of all kinds of loops for free (After making an acct, unfortunately). I can usually find something that suits my needs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Power Mac G5 Quad 2.5Ghz, 10 GB RAM, 2 TB internal, 4 TB external RAID 0 array, dual 23" HD displays
when i was at this stage, i switched to logic. logic comes with the 'ultrabeat' drum synth. which is useful to a point. but before that, even in garageband, i used 'oneshot' samples. which are samples of like one kick drum, snare, hihat, etc. i would create individual tracks for each instrument (bass drum, snare, hihat, etc.) and then arrange them within the tracks as needed. this is one of the biggest wastes of time, but does give you a sense of how percussion is laid out and gives good foresight into how midi drum sequencers work. you said you have loops, you chop up your loops to make 'oneshot' samples of each sound from your loops. you cant do this to apple loops. chopping up loops or oneshots for that matter can be worth the time and i have created countless 'glitchy' sounding tracks by using this method.

what setup do you have? any hardware? if you let me know what you have i can be of more help, but i hope this is a start.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13'', 320GB, 2.26GHZ, 2GB
Don't use Garageband, its garbage, well, for the non-amateur it is.

I use Ableton with my MPC and MPD

Reaction score
I can help you program and record drums for your special needs. Can you send me an idea of your project, genre, tempo etc? I can just record you some loops for free. Let's call it welcome present;).

Well GarageBand is a great tool, it comes from German Software Developer Emagic who formerly and still program Logic Pro. Just becaus GB is a free App it's not a bad one although I also prefer Ableton Live. It simply sounds better.
Anyway, GB is a perfect start into a professional DAW and it's still better than all the other crap out there which is made for recording newbies!!

Cheers,
Kenaudio

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.