Mac Mini or new iMac what do you think?

Reaction score
Hello everyone, let me just start off by saying I don't know much about computer specs, with that being said... I just wanted to get some of your opinions about my options. Right now my current set up is a (early 2011) macbook pro 13inch base with a 27 apple cinema display. I am currently attending school for film and want to do movie edition on it. When I downloaded final cut on my computer last week, I was editing a film and trying to surf the web at the same time, however my computer wasn't having any of that and started to freeze and glitch. So I am thinking of getting a computer with a little better specs, either the new quad core mac mini with fusion drive and 2.6 GHz and with 8 GB of memory or the new 27 imac with fusion drive? I was told the imac could be a better choice due to the mini not having a dedicated graphics card. If I get a mac mini I will already have a display for it (apple cinema display) but if I get imac I will have to sell my macbook pro and display what do you guys think? :Sleeping:

Thanks-

Matey

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
I would vote for the iMac - you could also look at getting a 2011 iMac and saving quite a bit of $$ - you might be able to keep your notebook that way. The 2011 iMacs are more than capable of suiting your needs.

Reaction score
What are the specs for the mbp? You could always max the ram and install ssd Black Friday is coming

OP
thematey
Reaction score
Thanks for your replay BrianLachoreVPI, I will defiantly look into getting a iMac.

Lilmill, my specs for my MBP are 2.3 GHz core i5 with 4 GB of memory.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.