External Hard Drive Help!

Reaction score
I've recently had trouble with a 500GB Hard Drive. I first was not able to transfer files to the hard drive or transfer files off of it. So I went under the Disk Utility and used the Repair Disk Feature.

Now The hard drive still shows my data in there (Approx 260GB under the Get Info Screen), but when I try to access the content the folders are coming up empty.

Is there any thing I can do to get the files off of the hard drive?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
There are several things you can try.....

Many external hard drives fail not from a mechanical problem but from a bad USB or electronic interface built in the drive case. One fix that "may" work is to remove the drive from its case and place it in another USB carrier case. Of course that voids the manufacturer warranty so take note...

Or, you can try data recovery software to see if you can extract the lost data from the drive. Here's a list of recommended data recovery software. Note that each one is expensive but may have a trial copy which you can try first.

Data Rescue 3

Disk Warrior 4

Disk Drill Pro

OP
S
Reaction score
Holy sweet Mary mother of joseph!

Sorry for all the blaspheming but I just went through all of the utilities and software programs and they all coudn\t help me, but `i changed the usb cord like you mention and now it works perfectly!

Thanks so much for your help

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.