Saving Pages file to Documents

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini ,Mac Air Pro, iPad Mini, Apple TV
I have not saved too many Pages documents but I am now confused. I clicked on my Documents icon after I Saved a document and the Pages document was not there. After floundering around I went to Finder and clicked on User (me) and another documents area showed up and I found my Pages document there. This looks very convoluted to me and I am having trouble with my logical thinking finding where I should look for a document after saving it and why there seems to be two documents locations. I went to the Tutorials and they didn't cover this subject. Perhaps someone could point me to source for information on saving Documents. It just doesn't work the same as Windows did.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
By default iWork Pages will save the document to your "Documents" folder which is listed under your user name. The "Documents" folder which you can see in the Finder sidebar is the same as the one you see under your user name. You can also see the same "Documents" folder by clicking on its icon which should be in the right side of your bottom menu (dock).

OP
rmill777
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I just wrote out an answer and I don't know where it went. I hit Post Reply but it just disappeared. I haven't gotten used to how you post a reply or what buttons you hit to post it. Anyhow I finally solved my problem because I had a Documents file under Desktop with a completely different set of files than under User/documents. Haven't figured out how to rename folders and files.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" i7 iMac. Intel Quad Core. 16 GB Ram.
Just go into the Documents Folder and create a new file with the name you want. Then when you save any further documents from Pages just direct it to the file you created.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
I have not saved too many Pages documents but I am now confused. I clicked on my Documents icon after I Saved a document and the Pages document was not there.
When you do SaveAs, the Save dialog opens up. Next to the name of the document you're saving is a little triangle. Click on that and the dialog box expands, allowing you to manuver to the folder you want to save to.

Haven't figured out how to rename folders and files.
Highlight the folder or file, then move your mouse slightly over it, or, after a delay, click the name again. Once the name changes color, you can replace the name by typing. If you wan to change just part of it, click once more until you see the flashing | , then backspace, type, whatever you need to do. And then hit enter.

OP
rmill777
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
When you do SaveAs, the Save dialog opens up. Next to the name of the document you're saving is a little triangle. Click on that and the dialog box expands, allowing you to manuver to the folder you want to save to.

Highlight the folder or file, then move your mouse slightly over it, or, after a delay, click the name again. Once the name changes color, you can replace the name by typing. If you wan to change just part of it, click once more until you see the flashing | , then backspace, type, whatever you need to do.

I have been doing exactly as suggested for several days. I have clicked the rename both with right click, using the down arrow and going to Rename under the File menu. The file name highlights, I can delete it, I can change it but when I left click the first time the file name reverts back to the original. Here's the kicker - it has changed a couple of times but I can not make it work all the time. I know it sounds strange but I assure you have been working hard on this. I am going to go back and try a different technique. I am going to duplicate the file and then try a different name. This isn't the end of the world but it sure is annoying. I am getting a real education from this site and I thank you. I am going back to my original post regarding where to find my files and report on progress

OP
rmill777
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just go into the Documents Folder and create a new file with the name you want. Then when you save any further documents from Pages just direct it to the file you created.

I did this. It worked and then I moved my files to the new folder. Thanks

OP
rmill777
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
By default iWork Pages will save the document to your "Documents" folder which is listed under your user name. The "Documents" folder which you can see in the Finder sidebar is the same as the one you see under your user name. You can also see the same "Documents" folder by clicking on its icon which should be in the right side of your bottom menu (dock).

The first sentence above got me on the right track. My problem was that when I saw "Documents" I thought I was always in the intended place. Not true. When I clicked on my Desktop/Documents icon it showed up with the Desktop highlighted. This folder had a Documents folder under it and that is where I kept looking for my files. I had moved some of my files there and I ended up with one set of Files under the Desktop Documents subfolder and one set under the User/Documents folder. I have now housecleaned and my files are ending up where I want them. I have made a set of folders for my files and I am getting them in the order I want them but my Mac Mini doesn't make that easy. On another post I have discussed my problem renaming files which I haven't solved even after following directions to the letter. I am getting an education. I can now almost navigate around the Mac Forum site. This is a great place to get help and I appreciate it.

OP
rmill777
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Changing file names

I have been doing exactly as suggested for several days. I have clicked the rename both with right click, using the down arrow and going to Rename under the File menu. The file name highlights, I can delete it, I can change it but when I left click the first time the file name reverts back to the original. Here's the kicker - it has changed a couple of times but I can not make it work all the time. I know it sounds strange but I assure you have been working hard on this. I am going to go back and try a different technique. I am going to duplicate the file and then try a different name. This isn't the end of the world but it sure is annoying. I am getting a real education from this site and I thank you. I am going back to my original post regarding where to find my files and report on progress

I found out what I wasn't doing. After I change the name I have to hit the Enter key on my keyboard. I was skipping this step most of the time. Amen and hallelujah.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
I found out what I wasn't doing. After I change the name I have to hit the Enter key on my keyboard. I was skipping this step most of the time. Amen and hallelujah.

I added that to my post above in case someone else comes searching for help with this. Glad you got it figured out.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.