USB 2.0 External HDD

J

jbsengineer

I have a external 2.5" drive in a usb housing. it's one of the ION drives. anyway. Windows will read it fine, etc. I unallocated all the space and plugged it into the mac. It doesn't pick it up in the disk utility. Any ideas? Is there a 3rd party program i'll have to buy to find usb 2.0 drives...doesn't make sense.. It's supposed to be mac compatible.

Josh

OP
J

jbsengineer

btw, the drive shows up in the system profiler as a "USB High-Speed Bus" --> USB2.0 Storage Device

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
what format is it? if you want it to be mac and pc, format as fat32, and partition due to fat32's size limits.

OP
J

jbsengineer

Macman said:
what format is it? if you want it to be mac and pc, format as fat32, and partition due to fat32's size limits.

i had it at 2 fat32 20gig partitions. disk utility would not pick it up and the system profiler could see it. so i unallocated all the space. still the same thing.

Josh

OP
J

jbsengineer

well i found a program that helped me out. i used MACDRIVE. it's a windows application for reading mac drives. it was able to format the drive as APPLE HFS. then the powerbook could read it. so i formatted it as ms-dos in the powerbook disk utility.

strange that when even i formatted it as fat32 in windows the powerbook still didn't read it. anybody experience this???

OP
J

jbsengineer

update.... right after i posted the above i plugged the newly "MS-DOS" formatted drive into my windows. Windows picked it up fine as a FAT32 drive. So i unplugged it and put it in my powerbook. Doesn't read it again. Very strange.

Josh

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.