noob question... can you mount a terminal to the desktop?

J

jamesmccain

hey guys, Im new to macs, I recently just purchased a black mac and Im loving this thing every minute. Now im pretty familiar with computers in general and in linux/unix os, however not with mac as im obiousvly asking for help/advice. now I know that dashboard is ava. but my questions for you is, are you able to have a terminal intergated to the desktop? so like you can whats going on in the background and/or be able to do thing via unix commands w/o opening it up each time? I know mac's are pretty changeable but dont know there limitations and hope that I could pick up a thing or two from ya'll mac guru's... well thanks

James

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
Navigate to:

/Applications/Utilities

and drag the application "Terminal" to your dock.

Click it and you have access to all the inner workings of Unix.

I don't know of a way to have Terminal "running on the desktop".

Reaction score
jamesmccain said:
hey guys, Im new to macs, I recently just purchased a black mac and Im loving this thing every minute. Now im pretty familiar with computers in general and in linux/unix os, however not with mac as im obiousvly asking for help/advice. now I know that dashboard is ava. but my questions for you is, are you able to have a terminal intergated to the desktop? so like you can whats going on in the background and/or be able to do thing via unix commands w/o opening it up each time? I know mac's are pretty changeable but dont know there limitations and hope that I could pick up a thing or two from ya'll mac guru's... well thanks

James

Do you mean like running in Terminal mode without the GUI? I know when I boot into Mandriva on my PC I have 2 options....console or GUI. Is that what you are after?

Reaction score
I think he wants something like an xterm window that runs as his desktop wallpaper so he can see the outputs at all times.

Spaces in leopard will let us keep a term window open on a different Space (speak desktop) , which would help him.

These days I'm starting to feel leopard is so necessary. Lots of switcher questions could be answered that way.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
Yea, I use Spaces similar to the way Yogi described. Just CTRL+> over and have a Terminal window open. I do the same for Activity Monitor.

OP
J

jamesmccain

yogi said:
I think he wants something like an xterm window that runs as his desktop wallpaper so he can see the outputs at all times.

Spaces in leopard will let us keep a term window open on a different Space (speak desktop) , which would help him.

These days I'm starting to feel leopard is so necessary. Lots of switcher questions could be answered that way.

I think so, but im not quite sure, is there any examples I could see?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.