Macbook Pro A1286 Late 08 15inch Backlight Screen Issue

Reaction score
So, it appears as though my Macbook Pro A1286 Late 08 15 inch screen LCD/LED backlight has stopped working. I have done all the basic stuff, reset the Pram, SMC etc.. No changes. I can indeed see the screen working by using a flashlight, or shining a light through the Apple logo. After an extensive search online to possible solutions, I have come up with 3 that stand out so far.

1- The screens data cable from the motherboard to the screen has gone faulty. I have ordered this to try since it is the cheapest solution to start with.

2- The LED Backlight is actually fried in the LCD screen itself. Replacing the LCD is the next cheapest solution to try since ebay is crawling with these.

And finally, the one I'm having an issue with...

3- The inverter for the screen. From early 08 models (all aluminum) to late 08 (Unibody, which is mine) apple changed how the screens were powered. From what I can tell, they either did away with the inverter or put it somewhere else for the screen. Some people say there is one on the Logicboard, others say its not needed due to the LED backlight and how it works power wise. Maybe Im not hitting the right sites to find this info, but after 6 hours of looking, you get a little frustrated.

So my question is, is there an Inverter? And if there is, where did apple put it? Can it be changed out for a new one fairly easily? Or does the entire logicboard need to be sent out? If it needs to be sent out can anyone recommend a reliable company here in the states I could send it to? I refuse to take it to apple as it will be nothing but costly through them. I have some repair experience with the older macbooks, but I am unfamiliar with the unibody's and taking them apart. So I am hunting for info before attempting to repair it myself.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Have your model and serial number on hand and go to iFixit: The free repair manual and look up the take apart instructions for your MBP. The instructions will show you whether or not the machine uses an inverter. I know the 2009 models are LED backlighted but am not certain about the late 2008 Unibody.

OP
D
Reaction score
I have been to Ifixit and been through every manual that is possibly related to what I need, and none of them have any info concerning this. There was one for dismantling the screen, which was very helpful and looks easy enough, but nothing about an inverter for it. Any other suggestions?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
OP
D
Reaction score
So, It appears it was indeed the micro fuse. Took somewhat of a risk and decided to send it out to a company I found in brooklyn, NY. Gotta say, they were fast on the turnaround time. Sent it out on a monday, got it back the following monday. Price was decent in comparison to some others. 150 bucks, plus shipping which was only 11 dollars. Been using my Macbook Pro A1286 for a week straight and so far so good! If anybody would like the name of the company I used, you can find them here: SONY, DELL items in Ai Comp Repair store on eBay!... You will find it under their listing as "No Backlight Only Repair". Yes, it was an ebay deal, and I know of the horror stories some people have had. But I recommend them based on their communication with me and turnaround time. No, they did not replace my logicboard with another one either. Checked the serial # myself. Thanks for all the help!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.