Powermac G5

Reaction score
I have a G5 Dual 2.0ghz That i just bought used after having my macbook pro stolen. My question regards the airport/wireless compatibility. If i'm to buy the airport antenna that there is a port for on the back, is that all i'll need to be wireless-ready? Basically what i'm asking is, does the ports existence prove that the computer already has the supporting hardware (other than the antenna)?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I have a G5 Dual 2.0ghz That i just bought used after having my macbook pro stolen. My question regards the airport/wireless compatibility. If i'm to buy the airport antenna that there is a port for on the back, is that all i'll need to be wireless-ready? Basically what i'm asking is, does the ports existence prove that the computer already has the supporting hardware (other than the antenna)?

You have to have an airport card (airport extreme) installed in it.

Goto:

Apple Menu > About this Mac > More Info > Then click on "airport" in the list on the left to see if you have a card installed.

Yes...you should purchase the antenna as well.

Hope this helps,

- Nick

OP
Evan Molina
Reaction score
So i need to buy an airport extreme card. Other than that is the antenna optional?

Apart from apple's products, i know there are some USB wireless adapters that work for macs. Are there any that are known to work particularly well, or any that are recommended?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So i need to buy an airport extreme card. Other than that is the antenna optional?

Apart from apple's products, i know there are some USB wireless adapters that work for macs. Are there any that are known to work particularly well, or any that are recommended?

You would need to purchase an airport extreme card if you don't already have one.

Yes...you pretty much have to purchase the antenna. If not you will not get very good wireless performance. Apple didn't do a very good job when they designed the internal antenna in the G5...so the antenna is pretty much a must for good performance.

I'm not saying that you can't try to use the G5 wireless (with the airport card) without an antenna. If you're really close to your wireless router...maybe you will get a decent signal.

But I think regardless of the situation...the antenna will improve things.

Good luck,

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Regarding your wireless USB adapter question. I've always found them to be a very expensive solution (maybe there's an exception). When ever I've looked for one it always costed close to $100 or more.

A used airport extreme card can be found on e-Bay for like $20-$30 bucks.

Hope this helps,

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Make sure of the model before outlaying cash. 2GHz DP Dual processors use the Airport card, 2GHz Dual Cores use a Bluetooth/Wireless combo card which is mounted on a standoff card with special screws etc. Apple inists these are not user installable and so it requires an Apple dealer to order and fit, about $200 all up.

Agree with Nick on adapters, have never even got a USB adapter to even work right next to the router.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.