Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Hi,
I bought one of these the other day:
12v adapter | USB serial adapter | London | UK

I can't seem to get it to work with my Mac Pro.
I've installed the latest drivers from the website, but no networks show up in the available networks tab of the Realtek wi-fi app.

Any ideas?

Two questions:

1. How come you needed this device...doesn't your Mac Pro's built-in WiFi work?
2. What OS are you running? If you're running OS 10.7...looking at the specs for the device (from the link)...it doesn't mention OS 10.7 compatability.

- Nick

OP
T
Reaction score
Stupidly bought my Mac Pro without airport because I always had it in the same room as my router.
It's running OS 10.6.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Stupidly bought my Mac Pro without airport because I always had it in the same room as my router.
It's running OS 10.6.

I see. I thought with the 2009 Mac Pro's...that WiFi was standard & not optional. With earlier Mac Pro models WiFi was optional.

I've never been a big fan of the plug-in USB WiFi devices. Some folks say that they can get them to work...many times they're just a bug headache...with less than spectacular WiFi reception.

If this thing is supposed to work with a Macintosh...there must be some sort of preference setting that needs to be adjusted/turned on. But it's hard to say what that could be...since I'm not familiar with this device or the software that controls it.

I know that it might be a more expensive option...but have you considered purchasing the original Airport card you need to make your Mac Pro Airport compatible?

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.