• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Imovie Narration

Reaction score
I am trying to DVD of a slide presentation. I have scanned all the slides, added each slide as a clip and added background music. I am using iMovie 9, v. 8.0.6.

I now need to add a narration as the movie plays describing the various slides. I'm looking for the best way to do this. I thought there was a separate track for voice but it seems that I was wrong. I guess I can do a separate narration for each clip and attach it as a "sound effect", but that sounds like it would be rather tedious and how do I make that recording.

What I would really like to do is, as the movie plays, I would do a running narration through the whole thing.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

mike

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
iMovie Help is you friend here.
To record a voiceover:
With your project open in the Project browser, click the Voiceover button, or press the O key.

In the Voiceover window that opens, choose a microphone (or other sound input device) from the Record From pop-up menu.

If you have no externally attached microphone, choose Built-in Microphone.

Drag the Input slider to set the baseline volume of your recording.

If you’ll be speaking softly, drag the slider farther to the right to increase the recording volume.

Drag the Noise Reduction slider to the right to prevent background noises (ambient noise) from intruding on your recording.

If you want the ambient noise to be heard in the recording, drag the slider to the left.

If you want your voice to be electronically altered to sound more smooth, select the Voice Enhancement checkbox.

If you need to listen to audio cues in your video while you record your voiceover, select the checkbox labeled “Play project audio while recording,” and wear headphones while recording so that the microphone doesn’t pick up the project audio while you’re recording your voiceover.

In the Project browser, click the video frame where you want the voiceover to begin.

iMovie beeps three times to give you time to prepare to speak.

When the beeping stops, begin speaking clearly into the microphone.

Click anywhere in the project to stop recording.

A purple voiceover soundtrack bar appears below the video the voiceover is attached to.

Do a search on Voiceover to get the pretty pictures that go with the above.

PS. There is a lot of other good stuff in iMovie Help.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.