Firewire for MacBook - iMac??

Reaction score
Hi

I have a MacBook OS x 10.5.8 which I need to connect to my new iMac OS x 10.6.8. I can't get them to connect wirelessly (not sure why) and so I bought a Firewire 800 lead (9-6 pin) which fits the iMac but not the MacBook. Please could you let me know which cable I need to connect them to transfer apps and docs to the iMac?

Many thanks!

Cat

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Hi

I have a MacBook OS x 10.5.8 which I need to connect to my new iMac OS x 10.6.8. I can't get them to connect wirelessly (not sure why) and so I bought a Firewire 800 lead (9-6 pin) which fits the iMac but not the MacBook. Please could you let me know which cable I need to connect them to transfer apps and docs to the iMac?

There are two types of firewire used on various Mac models...firewire 400 & firewire 800. I'm pretty sure your MacBook has firewire 400...and the iMac has firewire 800...so you would need some sort of cable/adapter combo to make the connection. Of course as you are experiencing...the cable connectors are different.

HTH,

- Nick

OP
T
Reaction score
Thanks Nick - I'm trying an ethernet connection now but still having trouble getting them to connect.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
You can get help on connecting two Macs by searching the help in Finder for "ethernet". There's a specific topic on connecting two Macs via ethernet.

Here are the salient bits:

- To connect two computers using Ethernet;

- Connect a standard Ethernet cable from the Ethernet port on one computer to the Ethernet port on the other. You don’t need to use an Ethernet crossover cable.

- On each computer, choose Apple menu > System Preferences and click Sharing. Note the computer name for each computer.

- In the Finder on one of the computers, choose Go > “Connect to Server,” and then click Browse.

- Double-click the other computer in the window and enter your password, if necessary.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Happy to try and diagnose the firewire issue if you post back with details which Macs your are trying to connect

OP
T
Reaction score
Hi mrplow - I have tried following your instructions but when I click browse on both computers the box is empty - they don't seem to be able to find each other. Could I have the wrong cable? I got a Cat 5e Crossover Cable for Networking. Let me know if you need more details

Thanks again for your help

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I imagine it should work with cross over but the instructions do say you don't need crossover.

Do you have a standard patch cable? Maybe one that came with your router?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.