5.1 Surround Sound on MacBook Alluminum

Reaction score
Hey there, new to the forums. Just bought my first Mac since the Apple IIe from way back in the day.

Love the laptop. But I want to be able to use my Logitech X-530 5.1 speakers (three inputs--Left/Right, Center/Subwoofer, Left Surround/Right Surround). I have done some searching and found that the MacBook headphone jack supports 5.1 output. My understanding gets a little fuzzy when TOSLINK adapters start coming into the conversation. Regardless, I have read that even with a TOSLINK adapter, 5.1 is only possible with Dolby encoded audio, such as DVDs.

Then I found the Griffin Firewave: Griffin Technology: FireWave which would be great, except the new MacBooks obviously don't have a firewire port.

So finally my questions: 1) is there a USB version of this product? 2) are there other options for 5.1 sound from my MacBook? 3) if all else fails and I went the TOSLINK route, is there an adapter that would work with my speakers' 3-inputs?

Thanks for the help

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.