External HDD question...

V

viz

Looking at adding an external HDD for back-up, digipix and music. Had a recent experience with trying to read files from an iPod on an XP box and had all sorts of trouble (and *no* we were not uploading music - I use my iPod as an X-drive for my digi camera :). I suspect that the PC was having trouble with the Mac format...

Question is - how should I format the new external drive so that both the Mac AND the XP box can read it?

TIA

/viz

Reaction score
viz said:
Looking at adding an external HDD for back-up, digipix and music. Had a recent experience with trying to read files from an iPod on an XP box and had all sorts of trouble (and *no* we were not uploading music - I use my iPod as an X-drive for my digi camera :). I suspect that the PC was having trouble with the Mac format...

Question is - how should I format the new external drive so that both the Mac AND the XP box can read it?

TIA

/viz

Simply format the external hard drive in fat 32 format. Be sure to give the hard drive a volume name or the Mac won't read it. Fat 32 format with a volume name can be read by both the Mac and the Pc. Works great, I use mine as an archive and draw on it with both.

james

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.