Need Help with IPad Features

Reaction score
Hello all

I thought I'd ask a couple of questions about this device just so I'm certain this will be what I need.

This is my most important question: What's the deal with the IPad as an ebook reader? My main concern is getting many techincal books/journals that I already have in .pdf format on my PC over to the IPad. If that isn't possible this device will be worthless to me. Any thoughts? I've never used an ebook reader (they are simply too small for me) so I'm open to anything at this point. It would be nice if I can move stuff from my PC to the IPad in case I find something on the web I need to read.

Any concern of not having a USB port? Will that hinder my porting of .pdf files over to the IPad???

What really is the difference between a G3 model and the one with only Wi-Fi. Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't the Wi-Fi work in, say, Starbucks where you can get the internet there? Whereas the G3 is used for both a phone and internet hookup anywhere...or am I missing something? The WiFI may very well be enough for me.

At that point it's really just what memory I need. Any see a VERY good reason to go beyond the basic 16G? If so, let's hear what you have to say.

Basically, I'm really hoping that this device will be for me. I haven't bought an Apple device in YEARS...I went PC (heh) about 11 years ago due to lack of software I need (basically more obscure engineering software that won't run on Macs) so getting back to my origins (Mac user back to 1984) will be nice change.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

jom

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Just for the record, if you go to the specs page for the iPad and scroll down, there is a Camera connection kit. Two Dongles. One a USB Port and the other a SD Card Reader. They plug into the iPad dock connector. I hear that there maybe more such dongles available later down the road and maybe even a Network port and Video out port.

At this point till the iPad is released and in the hands of people, it's not known if the USB port only supports a camera to import pictures or other devices also.

It's 3G. 3G will only been needed if you are not near a WiFi Hotspot away from home or you have no Wireless in your house. Otherwise WiFi is WiFi. Any place like Starbucks that a notebook, iphone, ipod touch or whatever can access the internet Via WiFi will work with the basic iPad.

C

chas_m

This is my most important question: What's the deal with the IPad as an ebook reader?

It's nice to have you joining us, Mr. Seinfeld. :)

My main concern is getting many techincal books/journals that I already have in .pdf format on my PC over to the IPad. If that isn't possible this device will be worthless to me. Any thoughts?

Have you watched the keynote? PDF documents are fully supported on the iPad. I can't speak to your specific documents because I don't know how you envision accessing them, but the PDF format is supported so I don't *expect* this to be an issue.

Any concern of not having a USB port? Will that hinder my porting of .pdf files over to the IPad???

Nope. There's this thing called "wireless" y'see ...

What really is the difference between a G3 model and the one with only Wi-Fi.

Wi-Fi: not ubiquitous
3G: ubiquitous

That's basically the difference. Wifi is available in places, and not available in a lot more places. 3G you pay for, but it gives you internet access basically everywhere.

At that point it's really just what memory I need. Any see a VERY good reason to go beyond the basic 16G? If so, let's hear what you have to say.

Not really, no. Perhaps if you're one of those people who feel they *have* to have their entire music and video collections on hand at all times, then perhaps there's some reason to go beyond 16GB. For most normal people, I can't see much of a reason.

Basically, I'm really hoping that this device will be for me.

Well really you'll need to hold one in your hands and verify that it can work with your PDFs to be sure, and nobody can really do this for you. Visit your local Apple dealers on or after April 3rd.

I haven't bought an Apple device in YEARS...I went PC (heh) about 11 years ago due to lack of software I need (basically more obscure engineering software that won't run on Macs)

So you may then be unaware that all Apple computers have been able to run all Windows software for about five years now. Staying with a PC just because you have Win software you need to run is a non-issue anymore.

Hope it works out for you!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Not really, no. Perhaps if you're one of those people who feel they *have* to have their entire music and video collections on hand at all times, then perhaps there's some reason to go beyond 16GB. For most normal people, I can't see much of a reason.

Are you saying I can't fit every DVD I own and all my music collection of 800 CD's and iTunes store music on the 16 GB model? DRAT! :D

On a more serious note, we will know a lot more like I said when people get their hands on the iPad and actually use it. But from what you have asked, it should do basically what you are after.

OP
G
Reaction score
looney mayor

Thanks for the answers!

I get it about the wireless instead of the USB. I wasn't clear though...I'm concerned that I won't be able to hook up to my PC to get those files, say .pdf, over to the IPad (regardless of whether it's wireless or USB wired). Having this will certainly negate any need for huge amounts of memory on the IPad if I can remove/replace stuff I only need to read at that point. And, no, I have no need to have movies and music with me at all times. :eek:

Any more thoughts?

Thanks again!

jom

PS: Yeah, I know about the software situation now but I'm far to ingrained with my PC at this point. What-are-ya-gonna-do? O:)

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I am very sure that the iPad will dock with a Windows machine just like an iPod, Touch and iPhone. It will use iTunes to sync info. You will be able to sync any files that way. I doubt Apple will drop Windows support with such an important new product like the iPad.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
As it currently is, you can't transfer over documents to the iPhone/iTouch through iTunes but you can use other software to view them (such as Dropbox). Unless this changes with the iPad which might happen because of the iPad version of iWork (although they may only allow syncing of iWork docs if they allow syncing at all), you might want to wait and ask at an Apple Store when it's released.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
As it currently is, you can't transfer over documents to the iPhone/iTouch through iTunes but you can use other software to view it (such as Dropbox). Unless this changes with the iPad which is a reasonable thing to expect with the iPad version of iWork (although they may only allow syncing of iWork docs if they allow syncing at all), you might want to wait and ask at an Apple Store when it's released.

It's been said that copying documents and such will be added to an iTunes update when the iPad is released. I guess again time will tell.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
It's been said that copying documents and such will be added to an iTunes update when the iPad is released. I guess again time will tell.
Interesting, I hadn't heard that. I guess you really do learn something new everyday. :)

Does this mean that iPhones/iTouches will get this as well or will this be limited to iPads?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Van, notice SAID was in Bold? To me SAID means we shall see when the iPad comes out. I did read it a few places though. Makes sense with iWork on the device.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Van, notice SAID was in Bold? To me SAID means we shall see when the iPad comes out.
Oooh, someone's feisty! :p

With iWork on the iPad, it would make sense unless Apple is assuming that people will be content simply emailing documents from place to place.

OP
G
Reaction score
I'm not entirely sure what you guys are talking about. I guess maybe that I'm not familiar with iWorks yet. Syncing docs would work for me...I think.

I will probably head over to an Apple store to check the thing out and ask questions next month. Should be fun!

jom

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Call me old fashioned but I'm still liking the USB dongle for transfering files between ipad and Mac. But if I could set up a folder on my Mac like a drop box for the ipad and all the files I send to and from my mac wirelessly are from and to that one folder it'd make things really nice. I'm not 100% sure if that is what syncing files is. But that'd be an idea that would help sell the ipad I think.

OP
G
Reaction score
imply frugal

Again..thanks for all of the answers!

One other thing: What is the situation with Multi-tasking? As an example, one of the things I'll be doing is listening to audio and reading at the same time...or at least that is what I want to do. My specific case would be more like watching a lecture while following along with a .pdf file so you can see what the lecturer is showing. However, I'd imagine most people just want to listen to music while reading. Does anyone thing this type of "multi-tasking" will be available eventually?

Thanks!

jom

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6

The question is exactly how this will work, how a pseudo 'file system' might work in practice. I mean, the iPhone can open a pdf or a .doc and you can read it just fine (a little bit at a time) but you can't really save it and pull it back later. Even if you have an iDisk, you need to save this on a Mac or PC and then read it from the device.

So iPad will go further than this, but how much further is the question. Also, if you're doing academic work, how quickly can you switch between document types (pdf, .docx, .xlsx or whatever).

I'm eying up this thing as a work horse - it's almost fantastic, but just the wrong kind of restriction will be a show stopper.

On multi-tasking, you'll definitely be able to listen to the iPod and do another things (like browsing or reading), but probably not something like Pandora while using other apps. Same as the iPhone.

Reaction score
perferred video format for the iPad

Are you saying I can't fit every DVD I own and all my music collection of 800 CD's and iTunes store music on the 16 GB model? DRAT! :D

On a more serious note, we will know a lot more like I said when people get their hands on the iPad and actually use it. But from what you have asked, it should do basically what you are after.

Does anyone know when ripping DVDs to iTunes which video format the iPad takes most advantage of?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
From the Apple website:

TV and video

* Support for 1024 by 768 pixels with Dock Connector to VGA Adapter; 576p and 480p with Apple Component AV Cable; 576i and 480i with Apple Composite AV Cable
* H.264 video up to 720p, 30 frames per second, Main Profile level 3.1 with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats; MPEG-4 video, up to 2.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 frames per second, Simple Profile with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats; Motion JPEG (M-JPEG) up to 35 Mbps, 1280 by 720 pixels, 30 frames per second, audio in ulaw, PCM stereo audio in .avi file format

So just pick the format that you like the best from the list above.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

Well technically you COULD, but it would be really, really low quality ;P

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.