monitor recommendation

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21 M1 Pro 14" MBP, 23 M2 Pro Mac Mini (MacOS 14), iPhone 15 Pro Max (iOS 17), iPad 6 (iPadOS 17)
i have a mid 2010 macbook which i want to put to more use by setting up for my daughter to use in her room

i'd like to link it up to a decent monitor - not too large so about 21.5 inch will do - so she can use it for her school work which includes some 3d modelling, etc

any recommendations?

also, i like the look of the twelve south macbook pro stands - would they fit my macbook?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
In my opinion...unless you're looking for a super high end monitor (similar to the quality of an Apple Thunderbolt display)...just search for a monitor based on price & size.

Almost all monitors are good...and will certainly be fine for everyday computing tasks. The only things (other than price) to consider are additional features...such as:

- different video ports (HDMI, VGA, DVI, etc.)
- USB ports
- built-in speakers
- adjustable stand (tilt, swivel, height)

HTH,

- Nick

OP
nickyr
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21 M1 Pro 14" MBP, 23 M2 Pro Mac Mini (MacOS 14), iPhone 15 Pro Max (iOS 17), iPad 6 (iPadOS 17)
thanks for the quick response

not really after a high end display so the apple cinema one is out of the question! so i'll need a mini displayport to hdmi / vga / dva adapter i guess?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
I got a ViewSonic 21.5" LCD and it's working great along with my iMac. I got it because it has a nice pivoting stand and has a displayport connector on it..

Be careful about the miniDP cable you get since some don't work well and have issues with waking up and keeping the monitor going properly..

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
...not really after a high end display so the apple cinema one is out of the question!

That's why I mentioned "similar" to the Apple Thunderbolt display.;)

The quallty of the Apple Thunderbolt display is a technology not exclusive to Apple. That technology can be found in smaller display sizes...but that technology will command a higher price at all display sizes.

Like I mentioned earlier...just shop for the lowest price for the size you are interested in...and any extra features you might like (mentioned above).

Yes...you will most likely need a video adapter of some sort. The type of adapter you need will depend on the ports that are built into the monitor you eventually purchase.

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.